Home Made Incubator Fan For Heat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chayton, Nov 4, 2009.

1. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    I just finished building my first incubator. I used a 24 x 20 styrofoam cooler, a 25 watt lamp for heat and I'm controlling the temp with a Ranco electronic temp controller at 100 +/- 1 degree. The fan I am using is a dayton 115v 12 watt 3 1/8 axial fan.

The heat from the fan is providing the heat for the incubator, the lamp only comes on about 2 times per day, I actually had to cut vent holes in top of cooler to keep box from going up to 103-104. I used an infrared thermometer and measured the surface temp of the fan at 122 degrees at the motor bearing. This is a new fan.

Anyone else have this experience and do you see any potential problems.

Placing eggs in incubator for first try today. 12 Ameracuna and 12 Black Marans.

any feed back on what to expect or if I need to do something different please let me know

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Some fans just get hot. You may need to find a different fan. Just keep an eye on it an see.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like the fan is running under stress to be so hot. Are you sure where it is mounted doesn't restrict airflow to the fan itself, making it work harder than it should, thus causing the motor to heat up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by