1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

home made incubator - old fridge

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sutho1973, Jan 17, 2014.

1. sutho1973

sutho1973 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone

This is my first post but I have been reading the many informative posts on the forum for some time. I thought I'd share with you an incubator that I made recently with my daughter. She did the artwork which was way beyond my artistic skill level.

On its first test run, with one lonely egg we had success and our first ever chick was hatched. We now have 19 eggs in lockdown ready to hatch in a couple of days, fingers crossed. Anyway hope u like the bator.

[​IMG]

2. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    Nice! Awesome artwork.

3. sutho1973

sutho1973 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks, it was a great project to do with the kids. Now comes the really exciting part...... hatching eggs!

4. Peacockvilla13

Peacockvilla13 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2013
    Hi , I love your incubator ,do you have automatic egg turner ? The reason I am asking is cause I want to make one myself but im using a non working mini fridge

5. sutho1973

sutho1973 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Hi, I'm glad you like the incubator. I started out with just the one auto egg turner in the fridge but I have recently added another shelf so I can install a second egg turner. Your mini fridge should work great. The fact that they are insulated helps keep a stable temperature.

6. Kippies

Kippies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    What a great incubator! And something nice to look at, too ! Very creative and cheerful and a great idea to use an old fridge.
    Job well done [​IMG]

Now keep fingers crossed that your hatching turns out well[​IMG]

Since I'm thinking of constructing a home-made, I was wondering if we could get pictures and specs on the hardware, please?

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sutho: What did you use to cut the windows in the fridge door? I picked up a dorm fridge, and can't wait to turn it into an incubator. I may not tackle the project until next year, but am curious about the best way to go about cutting in the doors. any other construction details would also be appreciated.

8. sutho1973

sutho1973 New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Hi guys

Thanks for the comments. As soon as I get a break from work I'll do up a post showing how I made our incubator. It wasn't complicated and anyone with some basic tools can do it.

9. jmcgee83

jmcgee83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    so cute. inm hoping to find an old fridge somewhere soon.

10. Peacockvilla13

Peacockvilla13 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2013
    I am so excited about making my Fridgebator , yes havent start yet cause the fridge my sister on law gave me is the size of a Microwave and I was expecting it to be bigger, but no problem cause I found me another one and this is the right size so today i am gonna go pick it up , and I was gonna ask you if you can please post more pictures as well as more info as how you did the egg turner installation and what kind of motor and also thermostat you used etc. This is my first project and even thoug I know a little about electric work I have no idea how to start on this project .thanks SHALOM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by