Home-made incubator v2.0 - advice and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suchafunkymonkey, Sep 30, 2011.

1. suchafunkymonkey

suchafunkymonkey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi all.

I've made some improvements to my home-made incubator (forced air -3rd image, backup thermometer + humdity display) - see pics and I'm looking for suggestions/improvements before I set some more eggs to hopefully hatch this time round.

On my last attempt, the humidity was all wrong. So I bought a humidity "controller" from ebay which turned out to be a humidity sensore switch and can't control the humidity by itself - only switch on a mains-powered device. Does anyone know of anything that I could use with that?

I plan on using egg trays this time and using a wedge to tilt the whole incubator rather than turn the eggs. This will hopefully help me control the humdity better Anything I should be wary of/take special notice?

The temperature is still controlled by a thermostat which seemed to work pretty well last time.

I usually fill the water tray with marbles and the incubator was only warming up when I took the photo so don't worry about the temperature reading!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    What type of thermostat are you using? If you could get some pictures of the temperature control of the incubator.

Check out my pages, I have a cooler bator, and Fridge incubator.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm curious about the combination of marbles and water. Are the marbles a heat sink, or do they assist with humidity?

I usually dry incubate and track humidity to prevent it from staying low like 25% for very long and know if it's creeping up to 50% because of several rainy days. The real test is the proper development of the air cell and moisture loss at 12-16%, depending on source.

4. suchafunkymonkey

Sep 14, 2011
    Quote:It's a digital controller (on top to the incubator in pic one). There's a probe in the middle of the incubator (pic 2). It's set to 37.8 with a 0.3C tolerance.

5. suchafunkymonkey

Sep 14, 2011
    Quote:The marbles are there to stop the peeps falling in and drowning in the shallow tray.

The normal humidity with the light on is around 45%, but I don't seem to be able to increase this with trays of water which is why I'm tryng to add a humifier and controller.

6. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Well I used a similar type of set up my second to last hatch. My humidity was a fight. I figured out that the wood was taking in most of the moisture so I had to seal the inside of the bator. I painted the inside with a latex paint. If it's holding temps I wouldn't change the set up to much.

7. suchafunkymonkey

Sep 14, 2011
    ok. I've lined the inside of the incubator with bubble wrap to try and limit the amount of moisture the wood can absorb. I've stuck a new bulb in and once its at temperature, I'll stick some eggs in and see how this lot goes.

8. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Did the plastic help with the humidity?

9. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    You can use your humidity sensor to turn on a aquariam air pump with the air stone in your tray of water. That will raise the humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by