Home Made Incubator......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken-keeper, May 10, 2009.

1. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Hi i have seen the plans for home made incubators here .....

I would only change a few things from it...... i would not make the automatic egg roller, i would roll them with my hands,,, 4 times per day. In these plans he use's an egg cartoon to store the eggs in, i thought that the bigger end of the egg needs to be slightly higher then the smaller top of the egg...... How is this possible if he is using the egg cartoon, and how do they roll if the eggs are inside the egg cartoon.

Has any used the plans and hatched eggs with them? What was the hatch percentage like? Looking for any help possible here...

Thanks guy

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Eggs really aren't rolled, they are tilted from side to side. You are right that the large end should point up.

3. chicken-keeper

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Oh right...... if i dont use the egg turner and i open up the incubator and put my hand in and roll them..... how would i keep the big end slighty higher then the lower end?

Thanks [​IMG]

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If hand turning eggs are placed on their sides. And rolled - mark an x on one side an o on the opposite side and roll them as often as you're planning too. Three or more times a day works well.

Chickens keep eggs on their sides, so you know that works. If you feel the urge, you can set them in cartons at the end when you stop turning to put the large end up. Lots of people do that.

5. chicken-keeper

May 5, 2009
    UK
    So i should mark the egg X and O and then every 8 hours roll it from X to O then 8 hours after that roll it from O to X and then back again every 8 hours right?

Thanks

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Unless you plan on staying awake 24/7 and I don't recommend it, three times during daylight is fine, when you get up, mid-day and when you go to bed, odd is better than even so they're not resting on the same side of the egg everyday all night long.

7. chicken-keeper

May 5, 2009
    UK
    yes every 8 hours, so 8am, 4pm and midnight.......

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:Either you're young or you have nothing better to do - MIDNIGHT? If you want to fine but not necessary.

9. chicken-keeper

May 5, 2009
    UK
    hahahaha...... ill be working but i will make the sacrifice, to get some new chicks ! after all its only for a month if that [​IMG]

10. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Until the next batch, and so on and so on and so on and so on..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by