home made incubator

stoutsfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
alamance county n.c.
I was kicking around the thought of building a incubator out of wood, ( i own a cabinet shop to carry me through the winter when farming is slow), wondering if i should insulate or not, i was thinking that once the wood case got up to temp it should act as a heat sink helping to keep the temps more steady. Also if solid wood would be better than plywood? Thank you in advance. One more pondering, wonder if it is possible to use the heating element out of a small electric oven for a heat source, just thinking of a light bulb burning out while i'm at work scares me..

I have just compleated my first homeade incubator. I used plywood and it measures 17 and a half by 17 and a half by 30 inches roughly. It holds 60 eggs at a time. I used a light bulb splitter that holds 2 bulbs from one socket. I also used the hot water heater thermostat. I have temp readings between 99.5 to 100.1 and its very steady. Mine is forced air and I used 2 computer fans. I am very pleased with my temp results and the light does NOT come on every 2 seconds. I half lapped all my joints as well. GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the info, i never thought of the double light socket, I was thinking of building one so that i could buy a LG turner to fit , just a thought. Does anyone know if the LG turners from tractor supply are any good? Also chickenhobby1 could you please post some pics?
I had thought that after i got my design down pat I might build one out of white oak (i have seen several old one made of white oak) and dovetail the corners, something my kids could use in 50 years. Dovetailing might be a bit extreme, but something about being raised on a farm and seeing how some of the old methods worked sometimes newer aint better if you catch my drift, or then again it might simply be that 1 grandfather was a farmer and 1 grandpa was a cabinetmaker, so i got a double dose, i dunno?

Quote:
Hey Stoutsfarm — I use both wood and insulation in my homemade incubators which aren't very big. You can view how I constructed mine here. They hold the heat and humidity in real well. I'm on my second hatch with these and having fun.
wee.gif

I did make some modifications to it by putting in some galvanized flashing to divert the airflow off the eggs (they were drying out too much during the first hatch) and put a GQF thermostat in the heat chamber. I also use dual light bulbs and haven't had an issue with them going out yet. (knock on wood) I like the fact that I have two lids. One to the egg chamber and one to the heat chamber. If a bulb did burn out, I can quickly put a new bulb in without loosing much heat.

Here's a couple of pics. The top one showing how I diverted the airflow.
82123_bigbatormode.jpg

82123_my2bators.jpg

Quote:
Hey Stoutsfarm — I use both wood and insulation in my homemade incubators which aren't very big. You can view how I constructed mine here. They hold the heat and humidity in real well. I'm on my second hatch with these and having fun.
wee.gif

I did make some modifications to it by putting in some galvanized flashing to divert the airflow off the eggs (they were drying out too much during the first hatch) and put a GQF thermostat in the heat chamber. I also use dual light bulbs and haven't had an issue with them going out yet. (knock on wood) I like the fact that I have two lids. One to the egg chamber and one to the heat chamber. If a bulb did burn out, I can quickly put a new bulb in without loosing much heat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/82123_bigbatormode.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/82123_my2bators.jpg

I didn't read, You have fans in your incubator?

Last edited:
Quote:
wee.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/82123_bigbatormode.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/82123_my2bators.jpg

I didn't read, You have fans in your incubator?

Yes. I have PC fans in them.

Back
Top Bottom