Home Made Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lighthousechick, Feb 15, 2013.

1. lighthousechick

lighthousechick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I built an incubator from a 10 gallon fish tank. I have it set up with a water heater thermostat, computer fan, and a 60 watt bulb. The thing is, I dunno if it's dumb luck, but my temp in my dummy egg (blown egg filled with gel) is staying at 99F, and the digital thermometer stays at 101.3 The thermostat never shuts the light off. I know it works, because when I unplug the fan, about 2 minutes after, the thermostat shuts the light off. I plug the fan back in and within 30 seconds, the light is back on. Did I totally luck out, or am I over-looking something? I ran the incubator for 3 hrs tonight, and that's the temp that it reached, and that's where it stayed.

2. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Well, you know the thermostat will shut off the bulb if it reaches it's threshold. Try leaving everything on longer, all day or all day and all night, and see what happens. If you are still concerned, try moving the thermostat closer to the bulb (if you can) to see what happens. If everything kicks on an off as it is supposed to, I'd say you got lucky buster ;)

3. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    double post. sorry.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. lighthousechick

Sep 9, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Ok good. Tomorrow, I shall plug it in, and leave it for 24 hrs. Gosh, I hope I got it. I read to many threads on here from people having problems. I am nervous. LOL

5. Knittycat

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Me too. My eggs get here tomorrow, and I have to wait until Monday to set them at my daughter's school. I don't know if I can manage that. [​IMG]GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. lighthousechick

Sep 9, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Oh wow! Good luck to you. I am hatching my own. I have 2 from today, and hopefully I can get at least one a day for the next few days. Then, I can start them Thursday if all goes well.

7. lighthousechick

Sep 9, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I forgot to update this. We decided to build a cooler bator. The temp in the aquarium wouldn't stay close enough. But, everything is a go, and expecting chicks on the 15th!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by