Home made live trap,,pics

flash5153

Chirping
9 Years
May 23, 2010
I built this live trap couple days ago when something killed one of my ducks.

Its built out of scrap lumber I had lying around. 1/4 inch Plexiglas door form an old sign. Rat trap triggers the door,,tied to a string attached to a board on bottom of trap. Board is on pivot,,,when something steps on it ,,,,its sets off trap pulling coat hanger out of door,,,door drops!!

What I like about this is it is big as you want to make it. I could easily catch a 100 pound dog,,,coyote?? ect...

58362_trap.jpg

58362_trap3.jpg

I am using tuna fish and marsh mellows for bait. What is the best bait to use??? Tune is going to get nasty after a day or 2.

It a pretty trap huh?? (pretty ugly!!!
lol.png
)

Not one comment,,so I guess I will respond to myself!!

Flash : it looks heavy!!! ------------------------------> "it is!"
Why did you use 3" wire??-------------------> " It's all I have other than chicken wire"

LMAO!!!!

Cool trap, I've been looking at it for a while. How does the trigger work? Does the animal move the can, set the trap, pulls the coat hanger, and then the door drops? I might make one like that, can't use leg traps and need to get a coyote.

There is a hole drilled in the rat trap. Right under the devise that makes it go off. I have a string tied to that metal devise that is attached to the board at the bottom of cage. When you push down on the board ,,the rat trap goes off.. and hits the coat hanger holding the door.

58362_trap2.jpg

58362_trap1.jpg

My drawings show mouse trap,,but can use either. A rat trap works better for a heavier door.

cool trap. I did the same thing, lost one of my chickens to a raccoon and next day went all gung ho and built a couple traps. I only caught one raccoon so far, and nothing has been back in my area since. But I'm sure there will be more in the future.

instead of using the board on pivot I have seen the rat trap mounted to the back wall of the trap and used as the trigger almost the same way you have it with the string and all but the one I saw used small wire cable

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you draw me a pic or explain better?? If you mount the rat trap on the back of cage ,,,how is it going to trigger door and something entering cage??
If I think you have a better idea I'll use it,,,but it doesn't make sense at the moment.

I am mechanically impaired so I don't understand how it works but, mainly if I were an animal I wouldn't approach it. Do you "soften" the look with leaves or straw or something so it doesn't look so menacing.

Back
Top Bottom