Home made pasta?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by valmom, May 16, 2008.

1. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    Anyone make pasta as a way of using up eggs? I'd like to make pasta and dry it for storage using the excess eggs we have now, but I've never done it. I know I need a pasta machine to roll it out. How long does it keep if you dry and store in a canister? Any recipes?

2. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    You can just roll the noodles out with a rolling pin, bag 'em and freeze 'em.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I do it that way too. Homemade noodles are waaaaay better than boughten. [​IMG]

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    This is the recipe I use, from "Everyday Pasta" by Giada De Laurentiis.

3 cups all purpose flour
    4 large eggs
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Mound the flour on your countertop, create a large well in the center. Crack the eggs into the well, add salt and olive oil. Whisk the eggs with a fork, slowly pulling in flour until mixture resembles a thick paste. Then knead the dough by hand, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking, for 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Wrap it up in plastic wrap and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, then roll out and cut into desired shapes.

If the dough becomes too dry, add a little bit of water.

5. Slike

Slike Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Puna, Big Island, HI
    Sweet, I absolutely ADORE fresh pasta... there is no comparison between store bought and home-made, they are two totally different foods. [​IMG]

I will have to try that by-hand recipe you posted Toes, thank you for sharing that! I also want to try with a press someday (roomie who also shares my food philosophies has arthritis and tendinitis in right elbow, so by hand she can't always do). So if anyone has a nice one they are happy with I'd love to hear what brand / etc you use. Thanks.

``Slike``

6. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    My grandmother used all purpose flour, eggs and a dash of salt, mixed it up, rolled out and cut it in strips and cooked them in chicken broth like dumplings.
    We called them egg noodles....yum yum!

7. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    This is the "recipe" I use for egg noodles:

1 cup flour
    1 egg
    1/2 egg shell water
    give or take

It's best if you can find pasta flour, but I've done it will all purpose and it's still good. I think they cook up best if you let them partially dry first. I have a pasta roller but most of the time I just use a rolling pin and a pizza cutter because I like them a little on the rustic side.

8. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    You don't need a pasta machine, but if you can pick one up cheap they are great! I have a manual one. You can add veggie puree to the recipe and it's great! We make a tomato hot pepper one which we serve with garlic creme parmesian sauce-Yum!

9. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Jo ann fabrics sell one in their craft dept for around $20 at least here they do and they come on sale as well

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I love to make homemade pasta! I do have the hand crank machine. But I know my husband's grandmother rolled hers out by hand and cut it by hand as well. I've never stored the pasta though. We always seem to eat it all up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by