home made trap. whatever got in, got out. *pictures*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cupman, Jun 11, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    So I spent part of the day constructing a trap for raccoons. I kind of borrowed ideas from other traps and used what I had to create this. I just checked my trap and the animal(I'm assuming it's a raccoon) had gotten in and gotten out, with the food. Here is my trap and any suggestions on how to fix it would be great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wire ramp has a coat hanger hooked to it, it then goes up to the top of the box through an eye hole screw and then holds the trap door up.. when the ramp is stepped on it pulls the coat hanger out of the eye ring and drops the trap door. I cut the trap door at an angle so it's flat to the bottom of the trap but I think some how he got his little claws in there and was able to open the door back up.

[​IMG]

It was sure exciting seeing the trap door triggered but then a disappointment when the critter was able to open the door up.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Show some pictures of the door and how it works

3. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well it's dark, late and trap has been triggered and messy catfood in it.... but, this is a quick microsoft paint demonstration, I'm an awful artist and maybe this doesn't help at all. I'll surely post fresh pictures in the morning but this is something to give you an idea for now. The top one is the trap set, the bottom one is after the trap has been triggered. Assume the food is right behind the ramp/trigger thing.

[​IMG]

The trap door is the red one

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think if you add a piece of 2 X 2 or angle where I have the blue square, so the door barely clears it, the animal won't be able to get it's claws in to lift the door

[​IMG]

5. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Hey that's a smart and simple solution, I like it. I have a couple other ideas floating around but I'll definitely add that. Alright it's off to bed for me I will post updated pictures tomorrow afternoon when I have the modifications done for anyone that is interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by