home-made vs. hova bator question (opinions)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. pbjmaker

    pbjmaker Crowing

    May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I made an incubator this week and I have a still air hovabator. Have at 48 eggs coming from different places - and arriving on different days. Should I place them all in one incubator with dates on shell then use the other as hatcher or since the home made one isn't tested should I split the eggs between the two? I haven't had very good hatches out of the hova-bator but chalk that up to lack of knowledge the first time and high humidity/temp spikes because of flooding the second time.

    What do you all think?
  2. priszilla

    priszilla Songster

    Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    start "testing"the homemade one-- with a thermometer and a humidity gauge-- then decide- get them both warming and then see which is more stable
  3. Keisha

    Keisha Songster

    Apr 27, 2007
    Yea I agree , see which one holds a stabler temp. You could use your homemade one as a hatcher and the other one as the incubator since its staggerd hatches.
    What kind of eggs are you hatching?
  4. kellim

    kellim Songster

    Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I agree with Keisha and priszilla completely!!!
  5. chickenfanatic

    chickenfanatic Songster

    Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i would check temp and humidity in oth make sure they r ready put some in each and see which one works better always fun to test out ur creation. hahahaha. and also next time you will know which one is the better option.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  6. pbjmaker

    pbjmaker Crowing

    May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My home made bator actually seems more stable then the HovaBator:/

    I have cochin, silkie, show-girl, frizzle, and one lonely favorelle egg coming from some different BYC members - thanks to all=). I also have 6 cuckoo maran eggs coming. If I get a successful hatch - my hubby is going to get me some black copper marans - but probably not until next spring now - we tried for them but got outbid. But looking at timing after this hatch I don't think they would be big enough when the cold starts hitting here so I will wait for spring.

    I haven't told him about the show-girl, NN gene ever - won't he be surprised if they hatch. I can hear him now - "HONEY THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS CHICK!!!!!"
  7. amyquilt

    amyquilt Serama Mama

    May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:That's a riot!! Won't he be surprised!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: