home-made vs. hova bator question (opinions)

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I made an incubator this week and I have a still air hovabator. Have at 48 eggs coming from different places - and arriving on different days. Should I place them all in one incubator with dates on shell then use the other as hatcher or since the home made one isn't tested should I split the eggs between the two? I haven't had very good hatches out of the hova-bator but chalk that up to lack of knowledge the first time and high humidity/temp spikes because of flooding the second time.

What do you all think?

start "testing"the homemade one-- with a thermometer and a humidity gauge-- then decide- get them both warming and then see which is more stable

Yea I agree , see which one holds a stabler temp. You could use your homemade one as a hatcher and the other one as the incubator since its staggerd hatches.
What kind of eggs are you hatching?

i would check temp and humidity in oth make sure they r ready put some in each and see which one works better always fun to test out ur creation. hahahaha. and also next time you will know which one is the better option.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
smile.png

My home made bator actually seems more stable then the HovaBator:/

I have cochin, silkie, show-girl, frizzle, and one lonely favorelle egg coming from some different BYC members - thanks to all=). I also have 6 cuckoo maran eggs coming. If I get a successful hatch - my hubby is going to get me some black copper marans - but probably not until next spring now - we tried for them but got outbid. But looking at timing after this hatch I don't think they would be big enough when the cold starts hitting here so I will wait for spring.

I haven't told him about the show-girl, NN gene ever - won't he be surprised if they hatch. I can hear him now - "HONEY THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS CHICK!!!!!"

Back
Top Bottom