home made water heater

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by buckinnuts, Dec 23, 2008.

1. buckinnuts

buckinnuts Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    york Pa
    any suggestions

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I just put mine under a heat lamp (a safe distance above them) and that seems to keep them thawed out for a little while...I've also just bought two of them & I rotate them...I keep one inside to thaw, while the other is outside in the coop. At night, I bring one in & take out the other one.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Use the big cookie tins, put the wiring harness through a hole in the side, use a 25 watt bulb and put the waterer on the cookie tin. I like the big ones with the raised edges.

4. deedles

deedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    my husband bought a heated dog dish for much cheaper, took out the small heater and placed it under a large, metal oil change pan. Works like a charm for half the price.

5. buckinnuts

buckinnuts Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    york Pa
    thanks guys
    right now I have a 100w bulb there it works ok
    but can't get to close the 2 waterers I have are plastic
    just hate spending the money for the heater or the galvinized waterer

6. nailjack

nailjack Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    The heated dog bowls are pretty cheap. Like 19.00 for a 1 1/2 gallon one at you local pet store. It was -2 the other day and I am sure glad to have had that bowl. Black an Gold? how about BROWN and ORANGE!

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    The cookie tin idea works great, and I use them with a 40watt bulb and one gallon plastic waterers work great.

I actually have two of the metal store bought waterers, and had to return one to exhange as it was not heating up. Now the second one I have isnt working as well as the other one in one of the other pens. I totally like mine better:/

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  9. krzy4chick-chicks

krzy4chick-chicks New Egg

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I can't stand the thought of my chickies pecking at ice, so last year I bought a heated dog water bowl (as others have also said they have done), and it works great. I put it on cinder blocks, sort of like tiered levels to help keep the dirt out when they scratch around the coop. I still change it every day though. No icy water no matter how cold it gets, and it was down around 9 here the other night. Works great!!

10. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    The heated dog dish is the best. $15-$20. I never realized how much the chicks drink until I started using this. 8 chicks and they drink about 1/2 gal a day. No wonder they keep laying good this winter. Even at -10 I got 6 eggs from seven hens. RIR & Rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by