home made waterer/feeder sizes for small flocks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dftkarin, Jul 27, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    My chicks are almost 3 weeks and I'm wanting to make both a hanging waterer and feeder and I'm wondering what is the most practical size to get considering I'll have only 3 hens, and I think will want to hang both inside their future coop. Would a hanging 1 gallon waterer be adequate? 3 gallons seems like overkill! How about for a feeder? Any suggestions would be very appreciated!! Thank you!

I can easily see how to make a feeder that could hang (a coffee can on a wider round dish, with a few holes to let the food into the dish, and two holes through the pan and coffee can to string up the feeder. But how can I make a hanging waterer? Maybe I just have to live without being able to hang it?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    First ? can you have more chickens, if the answer is yes then you Will get more trust me on this, so I would go ahead and get a big waterer anf feeder. It will save money in the long run.

3. dftkarin

Jun 27, 2008
    I wish I could get more chickens eventually but I live in a condo in a city and we are zoned to only have 3 hens per household - and my condo neighbors are only agreeing to let me get them on a trial basis to see if it will be as non-smelly, non-noisy, and non-troublesome as I have promised (given all I've read about keeping only 3 hens in a movable coop with plans for excellent 'coop'keeping/cleaning). So I'm really limited to 3. Would 1 gallon waterers be enough?

4. Riverdale

Riverdale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Riverdale, MI
    Plenty, just make sure to freshen it every day.

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Yes it will be enough.

6. dftkarin

Jun 27, 2008
    And then can anyone suggest a reliable place to buy a hanging 1 gallon waterer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by