Home Made Wines- SC

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by rroven, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rroven

rroven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    I noticed there are alot of people on the site wanting to become self sufficient so I was wondering how many of you make your own wine or if anyone has an interest in learning how? We make fruit wines and Muscadine blends and have taught some of our friends how to make wine. It really is easy...[​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    There was a thread on this some time ago. Seemed like quite a few who do or want to. I am waiting for my Elderberries to try it this year....almost afraid I am going to kill someone but want to try (to make wine, NOT to kill someone). I wanted to try dandelion wine but, believe it or not, I didn't have but two or three dandelions!!!

3. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    Believe me, if it goes bad you'll know it, it'll mold! Elderberry will be excellent though...it's supposed to be really, really good. hubby has made everything else except that and citrus.

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have heard it is really good. I kinda lucked out....when they built my house almost everything was bulldozed except for some huge trees and this awesome elderberry bush right in the front yard. It is loaded every summer. I checked a few days ago and looks like it will be again this year. So, you don't think I can kill someone with this stuff????? LOL

5. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    Hubby assures me it can't happen.

6. rroven

May 20, 2008
    lexington, SC
    You could kill someone, or blind them if you were to make white lightning, there may be truth in that, but not wine.

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL...that is what many of my long gone relatives used to make here in backwoods Arkansas. [​IMG] I think I will pass on that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by