Home made wood chips

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Big dreams, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Is there any reason that I could not run branches etc. through a chipper and use it for my coop? I believe the woods would be wild cherry, alder, maybe some pine and fir hmmm and hemlock... so are all those ok for shavings on the floor of the coop?

2. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    that's what I plan on doing. I don't see why not. May want to keep cedar out. We bought a chipper specifically for this purpose. [​IMG]

3. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    The only thing I am wondering about is the dampness, you know like if I use green wood, am I going to have to spread it out to dry for awhile before use? What do you think, or did you think about that yet? Summer won't be a problem but this winter, not so sure maybe I should just make a bunch at once.... When its not raining, by the way I live near Seattle, lots of rain. [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I would not put freshly-chipped green material inside a coop, *especially* not in any depth of more than an inch or so but really not at all. It will make things humid, but moreover all the piles of tree chippings I've ever been acquainted with develop a FIERCE case of mold under the surface in a day or two.

You'd want it dried to some reasonable degree first.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:I concur. Wait till the branches are dry OR till you will have 3 or 4 days of very warm dry weather. Spread them out in the sun and let them dry out.

6. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    Ok, thats what I was thinking if I make them in the summer and spread them on a tarp make sure they are good and dry then I can store them in the garage and use them when needed as long as they look good and dry after storage. Sound good?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by