1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Home of the Whopper

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blisschick, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Today was a nasty day, but my Jersey girls were good and layed 5 for 5. I got home late, so I was gathering them in the dark. Imagine my surprise when the flashlight reavealed this!!

[​IMG]

This beaut weighs in at a full 2 oz. and is 3 1/4 in. long. It's the most massive egg I've ever seen a chicken lay! If it hadn't been a Jersey doing it, I would have looked for a dead bird!

Here's comparing it to what I normally get from my girls.

[​IMG]

I'll have to candle it to see if it has a double yolk. I'm seriously thinking about trying to incubate it to see what happens. I may hatch a T-rex! [​IMG]

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    wow that is big. hatchit hatchit hatchit.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Any chickens walking backwards??? OMG

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Quote:Not that I can tell, they're all in bed for the evening. I will be on the lookout for the bowlegged one tomorrow.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

OUCH!

I think that's even bigger than the one I found awhile back.

6. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

That is HUGE! I vote incubator time!!! Maybe you will get a goose out of it [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  7. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Definitely candle to see if it's a double yolk.

Didn't I read somewhere on here that if it is a double yolk, that both embryos would die eventually?

If that is the case, no sense trying to incubate it, right?

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    True...if it's a double yolk, I don't think it would make it. On the other hand, there's plenty of room for two...or a family of 5. [​IMG]

9. Screebert

Screebert Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Oregon City, OR
    Eat it. Don't hatch it!! It's a double-yolk, which will hatch out crippled twins. That happened to a huge egg I incubated, years ago. 2 chicks with crippled legs hatched from one egg. They lived only a day or so.

Heck, it might even be a triple-yolk.

Do you have a turkey? That's an incredibly huge egg.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  10. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have turkeys, but they don't have access to the pen.

Didn't think of it being a triple yolk, being Jersey eggs. They're jumbo sized to start with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by