Home Owners insurance canceled because I have 9 chickens.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lastonein, Mar 10, 2014.

1. lastonein

lastonein Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    I just got a notice that ASI underwriters, are canceling my home owners insurance because farm animals, 9 chickens. I live in the country on 5 acres. This is really crap and not the good kind.

2. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would call up your agent and ask questions because that doesn't make sense.

3. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

IDK but they may consider that a "farm". not a home and acreage

1 person likes this.
  4. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good point old rooster!
    If so the company should still be able to change the policy to cover what is there. The agent should talked about these things considering the acreage. I know that where I am at 5 acres is not enough to consider it a farm but more that 5 puts on higher taxes and there are new things to be done! It might be a good idea to find a new company with an agent who will talk about what is needed for your home to comply with the laws in your area! I have a great company that I have called many times to ask little questions and they have asked us quite a few questions to make sure we have the right coverage. I am going to be giving my company a call and start asking them about the animals we will be adding to out land to make sure there isn't anything we need to change on our policy.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Seems weird to me. Don't know what state you are in but would find out if it has a division of insurance regulations to find out why that happened and if it was legal. Don't think acreage has anything to do with it. There are plenty of homes here in my state that are on more than 5 acres but certainly not farms by any stretch. More like estates. Most home owners insurance policies cover just that the home and not the property nor out buildings.

6. lastonein

May 31, 2011
    I called everybody that could do something and I am going to get a new insurance company, The insurance commission had a good laugh and said there is nothing they can do. I think the rate the insurance company gave me was to good and they wanted to get out of it.

7. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I have to change house insurers every year. The first years premium is always reasonable but year two onwards is often twice or three times higher. I hate insurers almost as much as banker bonuses!

8. lastonein

May 31, 2011
    I switched this year because my premium jumped $300 for no reason. Switching every year might be the right way to go.

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Insurance companies make a career out of making rulings that make no sense. My mother-in-law had her homeowner's insurance policy cancelled because "she lived too far from a fire station". The inspector came up to her place and passed a fire station about ten miles from her house and made the assumption that that was the nearest fire station. If he had gone on by her house in the other direction he would have passed the fire station that would actually respond if there was an emergency. It was less than 1/4 mile down the road from her house. When she called the insurance company to clarify things, they weren't interested in listening. The inspector had said the fire station was ten miles from her house, therefore the nearest fire station was ten miles down the road. Their mind was made up and they were not about to change it because of the facts. The good news is she found another insurance company with better coverage and lower rates.

10. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Funny my mom's insurance company was only worried about large livestock (like cows horses and such just asked if she had them) didn't care one bit if she had any chickens or rabbits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by