Home Processing Class - Mid-MI April 16 (CHANGED DATE)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by booker81, Mar 15, 2011.

1. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Figured I'd start here - if I have space for more people, I'll post on CL, and I may do this again later in the year.

My meaties will be 8 weeks on April 23. I'll have a "class" here at my house, to show how I process chickens for home use. I don't use any fancy equipment, and I've used the same procedure to process one to 15 chickens at a time. Most of the items I use are already in the home, and the rest are pretty cheap or can be made with some knowhow. (DATE CHANGED TO APRIL 16)

I'll print out the ALBC Cooking with Heritage Chicken and the USDA Processing Exemption Rules (which MI falls under, with no additional rules).

I'll provide latex gloves for those who don't care for bare handedness [​IMG] If you have a latex allergy, there is a RiteAid in town, you should be able to get some Nitrile gloves. Those yellow dishwashing gloves will be fine too if you want to bring them.

Physical participation will be totally optional but encouraged. Videos and photos encouraged, especially if you share them with me so I can use them too [​IMG]

Limit to 10 people, Saturday, April 30th, starting at 9 or 10am. Bring food if you wish, or hit up the food places in Perry, MI, which is a few miles from me. I'm located about 4 miles north of Perry, MI, off of M-52. Going through all the birds will probably end up an all day event.

Free - but remember I'm not licensed, and I can't sell you meat. Though my meaties will be used for the class, they are to feed us [​IMG]

About me: I've grown up on a farm with chickens, and have done FFA and 4H. I have worked in Food Safety and Microbiology, and am comfortable processing chickens and other animals. I've been processing my own wild game and fish for years. I figure it would be nice to share this skill with folks. [​IMG]

You can google my zip code (48857) for directions, I will PM participants with my full address and directions. For some reason GPS and the like seem to think my address is a ways down the road in a cattle field, so I will mark our house clearly. I'll also ask the neighbors if we can park at their place too [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. ghulst

ghulst Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    You have a very good idea. Hope you will your class. I have thought of doing the same here in Zeeland.. Where did you get your chicks from?

3. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I just got them from TSC - I can't remember if they buy from Mt. Healthy or which one. I know the feedmill in town (which hasn't ordered any in yet) usually gets from Townline in your neck of the woods [​IMG]

4. ghulst

ghulst Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    They came from Townline. We supply all of michigan plus many others. We are bigger then Mt. Healthy.

5. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    I'm doing a class for our 4-H group in May myself. I'd love to hear how yours goes, and what went well for you. I hadn't thought of printing the processing exemption rules, but I will now, thank you!

6. HickoryGuy

HickoryGuy Songster

Jan 27, 2010
    Hickory, NC
    Booker,

Just curious... what method do you use to pluck your birds? Hand or mechanical?

7. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I do hand plucking. The plan is to do everything in a manner that folks who only have one or two birds to process can do it without having to buy anything. No killing cone, no special equipment, just the stuff that I have around the house.

About the only "special" equipment I use is a scalpel for cutting the throat, but that could be an exacto knife. I just like it for the insanely sharp blade - I don't think I could sharpen a knife to that. An Exacto would do the same thing.

I use my water bath canner for a scald pot, on the stove. Regular sharp knife for cutting everything else off. I use a good rope with a slip knot (not sure the knot type), to tie the legs, and then I lower them into a bucket to bleed out. Just simple stuff like that [​IMG] I figure if it's someone who has 100 chickens coming they are probably planning to send the birds to a processing place. [​IMG]

8. Looking4ewes

Looking4ewes In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Great idea! Wish I could make it. I'm close by in southern Ingham county.

9. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    You're not but a hop and skip away! [​IMG]

I'm just a few miles off the Ingham/Shiawassee border. [​IMG]

10. booker81

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Only a month away [​IMG]

The little chunks are getting BIG now. Gonna be tasty! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: