Home protection-What do you do?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have been wondering what others do to protect their property/family in case of a home invasion.

I have been reading books,web pages,and watching videos.I have done some things,but I want to do more. I want to be more ready if the unthinkable happens.

Some things I have come across are:

Follow instinct-better safe than sorry
    Solid doors,no windows
    Better lock
    Kick plate with longer screws
    Smaller windows that are higher up
    Covering on windows to reduce breakage
    Fencing with gates
    Gun-shot gun,handgun,rifle
    Dogs
    Self defense classes
    Teaching kids NEVER to open the door just because someone rang/knocked
    Reminding yourself never to open the door just because someone rang/knocked
    Peep hole for door-chains are useless
    A secure room in the house(solid doors and kick plates that can not be kicked in)
    A whole house security system(brinks?)
    Bat,golf club,mace,knife in various locations
    Cell phone on hand in case lines are cut
    Keep windows and doors locked at all times.
    Locks on garage and/or shed
    Something on hand to use as a weapon while in yard(we had a loose dog attack one time)
    Alarms on windows
    Security cameras
    Driveway alarm
    Outdoor security lights

While out:
    If you notice a car follwing your turns drive around the block to lose them rather than turning into your drive

I know there are more.I have done some of the things listed.What have you done?I find that the more things I do the less I am feeling fearful.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    lots of dogs, a few guns, nosey neighbors, keep odd hours. My place doesn't look very invasion worthy. If they are looking for $$ I think they would go somewhere else. They might want to strip the copper pipes out of the house if I left it unattended too long, and recycle them. I don't leave it empty that long. I also don't have anything that it would kill me for them to take. My laptop would be probably my worst loss. If they got the address wrong and did a home invasion on me, I would think they would toss me a couple twenties and say "Sorry, man. Wrong house." LOL

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I find that having a plan in place is first and foremost the most important thing in your own safety.

I do live way out in the boonies, so any car driving down the road is something to crowd the window to see who it is. I have a couple of dogs that act as my early warning systems.. A little JRT that barks and makes a lot of noise, and Beast the wonder mutt who's a boxer/pit mix. He's been trained as a guard dog, but only reluctantly works unless told to act.

I do have motion activated lights on 3 sides of my garage and on the back of the house. if those pop on, it's time.. It's either a deer waiting to jump into my freezer or somebody who shouldn't be where they aren't. I've had only 1 ugly incident here at my house and it turned out well for all involved including the guy trying to force his way in. He needed a change in shorts, but he was able to leave with his life.

Now I know this is controversial, but when I'm home, I don't lock the doors. When I'm gone and my wife and girls are here, you bet they lock everything up [​IMG]

A lot of thought went into your post and I think you are going to find that your preparations will give you a piece of mind. One last word on guns... Education education education then practice [​IMG] There is a lot of different ammunition for different purposes. Match it with the type of gun you want to use as your primary. Practice with it until it feels like an extension of your body. If you want more info on ammo for home defense pm me, I could go on for hours and hours on ammo so I won't bore you here.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

7 barking dogs are a great deturrent. Dobermans are sweet, but their reputation says a lot!

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Carry a gun everywhere in the open. Get a reputation for being a gun toting loon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  6. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:open carry laws in my state are pretty good, but individual townships have ordinances against it so in the end it's easier for me to have a ccw

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Georgia does not let towns or countys make gun laws. The state is an open carry state. Open carry is even ok in state an federal parks that are in the state. I did get asked to leave a walmart once. My local one has never sad a word to me.

8. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Thanks to the rain today I have about an inch of water over ice in the driveway. So any invader would probably fall and break a leg long before reaching the front door. Once in they would face five dogs who would be more than happy to greet them. Then there is the cat who loves to wind between the legs. If that doesn't deter them there is always the baseball bat that is handy. As a last resort there is the gun that is ready to go along with an owner who knows how to use it. Not that there is much activity on my road. And as with many others they would probably leave me money instead of taking anything. Unless they wanted to take the trash out for me.

9. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    I live outside of town, have a big dog, and perhaps the most effective - I'm poor and own nothing worth the trouble to steal.

10. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I don't have much either, but I have a beautiful wife, 4 daughters and a grand daughter. For me that's enough to put me on guard [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by