Home Remedies for Upset Stomach

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by debilorrah, Feb 13, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

AS you know, Jenn's daughter Morgan has pneumonia, and she is throwing up - she can't keep her medicine or sprite down at all. Jenn has no cola syrup, no peppermint, no pedialyte right now. Anyone know of anything else that will help that child's stomach???

2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    ginger.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:What kind - how do you prepare it?

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Well I don't know if she can go out, but if you get real ginger ale (the REAL stuff) that would work. Ginger candy to suck on.

I didn't see when I first read it that she is throwing up. You really don't want to eat too much of anything if you are throwing up.

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

let the sprite go flat, and warm temp... only TINY tiny sips.. barely wetting lips, or spooned with teaspoonful so it's never too much.

have her smell a lemon, fresh is best cause it won't be overpowering. [edit] no idea why that works but it can!

if she has a knob of raw ginger, boil some, and give her a weak solution of room temperature liquid from it.. adding either sugar or honey. Again, pretty weak, not overpowering and sip very tiny bits.

Call a friend and ask to get some peppermint tea, again, still weak and barely warm, and with sugar or honey. Our bodies can absorb things with sugar a bit better it seems.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Vernor's Ginger Ale, served warm, and plain soda crackers (Saltines). Just a few sips of the Ginger Ale and a couple of soda crackers. If you can't get Vernor's, get a good quality ginger ale, not a cheap one.

The warm ginger ale will help reduce the stomach spasms and the soda crackers will help absorb the stomach acid that is being produced.

You might want to follow with some chamomile tea, warm but not to hot, as this will help relax her somewhat so she can sleep.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    tums or rolaids may settle the acid in her stomach start with 1/2 a tablet

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    If she has access to a Safeway or King Soopers type grocery store they carry Ginger Tea in boxes. You just make regular hot tea with it.

She can try giving it to her daughter with a little honey in it or not.

I hope her daughter gets better real quickly.[​IMG]

9. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    teaspoon buttermilk works everytime and I thought "yea right" till my mom threatened to come over and give my 7yr old dd at the time a tsp herself and woop my butt too. My dd had thrown up for 7 days and the last 2 she could not keep anything down.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

crystallized ginger, and lollipops work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by