1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Home Remedies to deworm dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sparkles2307, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Anyone? We live 2 hours from the nearest vet so "stopping in to get some" isnt really an option. Both have worms, I saw them on their heinies this morning *shudders* I want to get rid of them NOW!

2. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Any wormer will work. Ivermectin is my favorite, but fenbendazole is fine too. It can be for any animal, you just have to figure the dosage per weight at the concentration of the medication.

Most show dog breeders use IVOMEC. Some mix it down with propylene glycol, some use it straight from the bottle. It is one-tenth of a cc per ten pounds if given straight from the bottle or one drop per five pounds of dog given by mouth. If you have a ten pound dog it would be two drops.

Horse wormer is a higher concentration. Some people use it, but it would be a much smaller dosage. Unless you have a huge dog, you probably wouldn't use it.

You can also buy Safe-Guard wormer (fenbendazole) OTC for dogs. Nemex is also good. There are many OTC wormers for dogs.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:What breed is your dog?? Collies and related breeds have severe issues (like death) with ivermectin.

4. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    ivermectin doesn't get rid of tapeworms, but fenbendazole will, you can get it for horses and goats at tsc

5. sparkles2307

I have a Mini Longhaired Dachshund and a Welsh Corgi/Lab "Corgidor". Emma is 8 lbs and 2 yrs old and Ella is 12 lbs and 1 yr old. So they are like, 1-1/2 drop of Ivomec weights!

6. sparkles2307

I always used to use Coppenhagen and NEVER had a dog get sick or die from it... and we were always worm free, but thats when I had Great Danes, Ia m afraid to use it on my little doggies.

7. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Yes, I was going to add also to NEVER GIVE IT TO A MEMBER OF THE COLLIE FAMILY!!!! That also includes any mixes that might have collie in them. Very dangerous.

8. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Quote:Any "white-footed herding breed" dog might have an issue with ivermectin. If the dog has Corgi in it, I'd be very careful.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    what can you use for Bernards and Danes? *thread hijack* [​IMG]

10. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    You don't have to get wormers from the vet anymore , even to take care of tapeworms. They are available over the counter. Most pet stores carry them now. Just make sure it's for tapeworms and make sure the bottle you buy has enough to take care of the weight of your dog. I'm assuming tapeworms since you said you are seeing them on the dogs behind.. little rice like worms? You also will want to treat for fleas at the same time.

Nancy

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by