Home Remedy for Forearm Hay Rash?

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
I was tossing hay bales this weekend and darned if the things didn't tear up my arms. I really don't care about the million scratches and cuts but the itch is driving me bonkers!
barnie.gif

I've used gold bond lotion and cotizone cream to limited success.

whats that pink stuff in the bottle for itch.....calamine lotion. We used to use cocoa butter but I dont remember it itching that bad. Word of advice...long sleeves and long pants
wink.png

edited....sure there was no poison ivy in that hay??

Last edited:
I know, I'm such a dope...

I guess you can take the boy out of the city...

I'll try the calamine lotion next....

If there was poison ivy in the hay, I'd be in the hospital by now...:eek:

Last edited:
I have a stinky miracle salve I found on Etsy-- Neem and tea tree oil. It works really well, but no one will want to be around you. I continue to use it because my hives get soooo bad it's worth the stink.

Tried oatmeal?

You can't really bathe in rolled oats (unless you have a bathtub you can dump outside) because it can clog up. They make specially formulated oatmeal bath additives if you want to bathe in it.

But you CAN make a paste of oatmeal and water. I would guess that any type (quick, microwave, etc...) would be of some benefit as long as it is plain, with no added sugars or fruit. Rub the paste onto your arms and maybe cover them with long socks for a little while. You can also grind the oatmeal up into a powder first, in your blender, before you make the paste. That would make it a more appealing texture.

It is very soothing.

Also, you can try taking some benedryl or other OTC oral allergy medicine.

Cassandra

I clean well and use either aquaphor or zinc oxide. My issue is other things irritating it more, rather than the initial damage.

Back
Top Bottom