Home Safe & Sound

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by papschmitty, Feb 24, 2011.

1. papschmitty

papschmitty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Last Sunday, we loaded up the kids and took a little road trip to go pick up our chicks from a nearby farm. We brought home 4 Black Sex Links. I'm totally new to chickens so I was really nervous about bringing them home. It was a freezing day and I was so worried that they were going to be too cold. We made it home fine but now we're in the midst of a cold snap and have gotten several inches of snow - a lot for us here in the Pacific Northwest.

We had originally planned to brood the girls inside but after reading about the mess and smell, my husband decided to throw together an outdoor brooder. He built it with scraps we had in the garage. Right now it's split into 2 sections but once the girls are a little bigger and the weather warms up, we'll take out the center divider to give them more space. It has large plexiglass windows and it's set up on our side deck, pushed right up to our living room windows. It's really easy to check on the girls and enjoy their chicken antics from inside!

I'm still really nervous about keeping them alive. I think I'm more neurotic about caring for the chicks than I was with my first-born human baby! [​IMG]

Meet Bossy Betty (our alpha chick), Madge, Myrtle and Cindy. They're 2 weeks old today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I get up for work before dawn and spend the morning tiptoeing through the house so I don't wake anyone up. When I got out of the shower on Monday morning, I found my 4 year old daughter chicken gazing. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Congrats on your new babies!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love the last photo! Good luck with your brood!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by