HOME STRETCH ***UPDATE EGSS ARE NOW STARTING TO PICK THEIR WAY FREE***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mourningdove, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Well I set 28 eggs on the 9th and today is day 17 with down to 22 eggs due to some being non fertile or dying off early. So tomorrow starts 1st day of not having to turn them and the 30th marks the 21st day, so I am anxiously awaiting [​IMG] and hoping [​IMG] that all the rest survive [​IMG] Today I went and got my heat lamp, medicated chick starter and starter grit [​IMG] Now here's a question from a newbie is it possible that these chicks could come earlier? How soon before the 30th should the brooder and lamp be ready? Is there anything that I may have forgotten? How low should the heat lamp hang [​IMG] Forgive my questions but I wish to do this right!
    Hoping for hatch vibes and a successful hatch!! OH BTW my 25 chick pullets from Ideal will ship out in 2 days!! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Can anyone help/advise me?

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I turn my brooder lamp on when I get my first pip . Even if you get an early hatch they usually stay in hatcher for at least 24 hours after they hatch.

Put a thermometor in the floor of the brooder. Thats the level they will be at so you will want to know the temp there. Adjust your heat lamps distance by what the temp is. Start with temp of 95 and decrease 5 every week. make sure the lamp is at one end and they have plenty of room to move away from the heat if they need to.

Good luck !
    I took mine off the turner today as well so we can have a race OK !

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  4. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Thank you very much for your reply! I was begining to think noone would answer! Sounds like fun your on! The race is on! what kind of chicks are you hatching? I have some BO, EEs, RIR, & some mutt eggs!

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Don't take babies out till they are dry. Even if you put them under a lamp. They will get chilled. also try not to open the 'bator untill everyone is dry. Sometime you can't , If you can do it. a cold draft is a very bad thing to a wet chick,

GOOD LUCK [​IMG]

6. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    I just hatched 3 of 11 at 19.5 days with temps at 99.8 and good humidity. 40% first 18, 65% last few. Good luck.

7. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    On day 19 wow!!! Intresting to know thanks! When do ya'll think I might start hearing chirping? How soon before they hatch can I hear them? And yes I know don't open the bator!

8. brkuk

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    I heard peeping last night at 8 and had chicks by 9 am.

9. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    wow that was fast! I am hoping to hear some soon, I am getting anxious here! I never did find a hydrometer so I have no way of knowing the humidity levels........

10. brkuk

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    I wet my sponges every 18 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by