homeade nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bamachicks8, Jan 11, 2013.

1. bamachicks8

bamachicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trying to get ideas for nesting boxes I don't think we will have any left over Wood when building the coop what did yall use

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    You might incorporate something along this line maybe with a five gallon pail.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    My chickens lay in old milk crates. I just cut a piece of a used feed sack (Mine are paper sacks but plastic would be just as good if not better) and lay the piece in the bottom of the crate and put straw in on top of that. You could even put them on their sides and put a 1 X 6 on the from. Either way it's a cheap or free nest box. Just a thought.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Duplicate

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. I did that and it worked great. I built a frame with a ledger board slightly higher in front than rear one and dropped the buckets In then mounted a front board to keep shavings In. Mine had a walk board in front with ramp but all you need is a roost bar in front so they can hop up to and get in Buckets. I loved it but it was not any cheaper than building Boxes or a frame for milk crates which would be at least as easy

6. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    That's a nice set up there. I'm working on my new breeding coop/run combo and am looking everywhere for ideas so thanks. I'm actually gonna go with community nesting boxes in those though just for ease of gathering and my hens only use 2 out of the 6 nests I have anyway. so can't beat em, might as well join em huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by