homegrown freedom rangers

redneck

Songster
14 Years
May 25, 2007
Lynchburg,Tn.
I just ordered 6 Barred Rock Pullets and 1 Dark Cornish roo. Has anyone had any experience with this breed/mix? Would they have a decent growth rate? Does anyone think that they might grow out in 8 to 12 weeks. I may also try the Dark Cornish roo on some Black Giants. Just wondering, Would like to become less dependent on hatchery hatched chickens and raise my own.

Well "Freedom Rangers" applies only to the proprietary strains of meatbirds grown by : www.freedomrangers.net

What you are talking about doing is a backyard "Cornish Cross". Yes it works. They won't be as aggressive in growth or size as commercial breeds, but they're not awful either. They're just shaped a little different and take perhaps a little longer (or just get used to eating them a bit smaller if you're on an 8 week cycle).

I would not cross on a Jersey Giant. They are all skeleton and little muscle. You're far better off with the Cornish X Plymout Rock route.

Thanks, I was hoping you would reply. In your opinion what would be expected for a 10 to 12 week growth cycle? Would the Barred rocks and Dark cornish cross still be relatively tender for frying at 10 to 12 weeks of age with a descent weight.

Back
Top Bottom