So thanks to a careless smoker, my BIL is now homeless. His neighbor across the hall discarded a cigarette into an evergreen bush which ignited a fire that burned up the side of the building and into the attic before spreading. BIL's apartment suffered serious water damage in the form of a collapsed ceiling from the water soaked apartment above his. He escaped the building with his cell phone and shorts - nothing else. No one was hurt in the blaze, but BIL did not have renter's insurance. We'll be giving him an early Christmas present to do what we can to help, but he's out of state so we're limited in the help we can provide. I can't help thinking that all this expense and disruption over a tossed cigarette! ARGH! Good news...He was scheduled to relocate in May, so at least now he'll have less things to move.