Homeless brother-in-law

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Arcnadius, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    So thanks to a careless smoker, my BIL is now homeless. His neighbor across the hall discarded a cigarette into an evergreen bush which ignited a fire that burned up the side of the building and into the attic before spreading. [​IMG] BIL's apartment suffered serious water damage in the form of a collapsed ceiling from the water soaked apartment above his. He escaped the building with his cell phone and shorts - nothing else. No one was hurt in the blaze, but BIL did not have renter's insurance. We'll be giving him an early Christmas present to do what we can to help, but he's out of state so we're limited in the help we can provide. I can't help thinking that all this expense and disruption over a tossed cigarette! ARGH!

Good news...He was scheduled to relocate in May, so at least now he'll have less things to move. [​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Glad your BIL is ok.To bad the person who was the cause cannot be cited for it. I read they do that for people causing major forest fires.

The red cross will give him shelter and basic supplies.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Seems like if they can find out WHO caused the fire, they should be able to be cited, and the BIL should be able to sue them for his losses. Problem, of course is determining who caused the fire, and then proving it.

4. Arcnadius

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    The news story made it sound like they know who started the fire. I don't know how much luck he'd have trying to recover damages from them unless the culprit had insurance. The landlord is making housing arrangements for everyone so that's okay. It's all the little stuff we don't think about: dishes, groceries, utensils, hygiene items, towels, bedding, etc that adds up quick. I'd hate to try reestablishing a household after all these years. But, like I said, we're doing what we can to help him, and he has a good job, so I'm sure he'll recover. It just stinks to have to go through all this right before the holidays. C'est la vie.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Even if he has no insurance, the damage is his responsibility. Any assets he has can be seized and wages garnished (both would require a court order) to reimburse losses. If he has no assets and no insurance, then there is only the possibility of future assets to go after, and that may well not be worth the effort.

Bless the landlord for stepping up. The good news is that BIL was not injured or worse. You are right, all the little things add up, but if it were me, the loss of momentoes of my life--photos & items that have sentimental value--would be far more devastating.

6. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    UGH! Everyone should have insurance. Renters insurance is offered as well. Not on the dwelling, but on the contents at least. Glad BIL is okay!

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

SO glad to hear he's okay... [​IMG] But sheesh, yeah I don't think I'd be able to at least not ASK about some way to hold the firebug responsible... might not be much, but every little bit helps when you're rebuilding your entire life.

8. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    I'll bet he gets charged with negligent arson.

9. Arcnadius

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Well, we got a bit of good news yesterday.

BIL's apartment didn't suffer as much as originally thought. The living room contents ARE a total loss from the ceiling collapse, but everything else survived. Of the 18 units damaged, 16 were rented and the complex just happened to have 16 open units elsewhere (not affected by the fire). BIL thinks he'll be able to get access to his place this weekend to move his things out to his new apartment. So overall, not as bad as earlier thought. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advice. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by