Homemade air conditioner for you coup?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kfults, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Kfults

Kfults Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Southwest Louisiana
    i was thinking of building something like this for the coup on 100+ days, has anyone done something like this?

2. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Do you chickens stay in their coop on 100° days?
    Also if they have access to it they will eat it. Chickens love styrofoam.

3. Kfults

Kfults Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Southwest Louisiana
    They have access to a large run, it is shaded but they seem to lounge in a large coup 10x12 horse barn during heat of day (12 chickens)
    I was just wanting to give them some support. I throw frozen treats out but they won’t touch them until they thaw- defeating purpose. I put ice in their water. Just wanting to be proactive. Thanks for letting me know they will eat it! I will just hang out old box fan up for increased air circulation

snow5164 and igorsMistress like this.
  4. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    If the humidity isn't super oppressive where you live, a "Swamp Chiller" would work a lot better. There are all kinds of diy plans online for large and small ones. They can drop the temp 10-15 degrees in a large room or shop, so it should help in a coop.

micstrachan, aart, snow5164 and 2 others like this.
  5. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Songster

This is interesting. I was wondering about using something like this, too, as it is supposed to be 104 today... Do you think it could it be perched up high in the coop or outside the run - somewhere out of reach? Pretty resourceful contraption.

snow5164 likes this.
  6. Pugsabi

Pugsabi Free Ranging

Jun 5, 2018
    Arlington, Texas
    You could probably surround it with a chicken wire box/frame also.

7. Kfults

Kfults Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Southwest Louisiana
    My husband thought I was crazy and doesn’t believe in heat exhaustion in chickens . I went ahead and hung a box fan from ceiling and was impressed how cool the air was. Will do this and watch. So far they haven’t seemed to be bothered by the heat, but as I read stories of others- I don’t want to take any chances.

8. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Songster

Good to know. Thanks!

9. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Crowing

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    I hate to burst some bubbles, but those styrocoolers do not cool. One that size might cool a small closet down 1 or 2 degrees but not a coop. And even then they only cool for 30 mins to an hour till the ice melts. Spending money on a fan and ducts won't make it cool any better than just leaving a chest full of ice on the middle of a room with a fan blowing towards it. There just aren't enough BTUs in that small amount of ice. Cheap box fans and a water misting hose will cool your birds down a lot better.
    :old

10. Kfults

Kfults Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Southwest Louisiana
    ECB482B0-AE3C-4085-B08B-3BA78BA893B0.jpeg This should work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: