homemade auto coop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by justoldbobo2, Aug 18, 2013.

1. justoldbobo2

justoldbobo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Jena , Louisiana
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    Seems to me that the cool thing about a horizontal door would be that it will push the crap that the chickens track into the door jam.You could makeit so that it stuff just gets pushed out and back into the coop or run.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    With a horizontal door, the guillotine style, releasing the support for it would cause it to settle into place. If a chicken were in the path of the door, it could move out of the way and let the door fall into place.

With a swinging door, debris could block the action and prevent the door from closing. This could result in the failure of the motor that activates the door. Worse, the door might not close leaving the chickens unprotected.

In any event, the doorway should be placed so that it can open and close without getting caught in the litter or anything that might block it.

As far as the chickens are concerned, timing the door to close when it is dark would help ensure that all the chickens are inside for the night.

Chris

4. justoldbobo2

justoldbobo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Jena , Louisiana
    That is basically what I've been thinking. But I wanted someone else's opinion

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by