Homemade Bator - What watt buld to use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Forest, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Forest

Forest Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    I just completed making a homemade bator, i used a PID temp controller and have it less than 1 degree shift using 2 40 watt appliance bulbs. Is that too much or should they be less wattage?

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Guess it depends how big the bator is....

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have two homemade bators (check the link in my sig line) and in both, we use one 60 watt bulb. Is yours larger than those?

4. Forest

Forest Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Oh, ya i guess that is important. It is a plastic igloo cooler, approx 30" long by 16 " wide. It isnt a very large one.

5. l'uccello

l'uccello Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    S.F. Bay Area
    I am by no means an expert, but we built an incubator with inside dimensions of about 16" x 14" that is heated with two 40w bulbs and it works very well.

I would imagine the proximity of the lights to the eggs might play a part though. Our lights are high in the box and separated from the eggs by a board on which their sockets are mounted. We do have a fan too. You could definitely go with lower wattage or just one bulb, but I like the idea of having lots of heat available when they come on because the cycle is shorter, and I like the idea of two bulbs (in parallel, of course) because you still have heat if one fails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by