Homemade Bator with 3-4 day Black Leghorn eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bayerchicks, Jan 5, 2011.

1. bayerchicks

bayerchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    3 days counting hours, 4 days counting days, lol.

So.... I am NEW to chickens and decided to take the chick by the waddles (bull by the horn) and jump into a bator when some black leghorns I purchased off Craigslist list unexpectedly laid. I wasn't even going to keep them until someone told me that they are hard to come by.

Well they have been home for over a month and have not laid because of the winter I guess. We figured we would wait until the spring and hatch some and then get rid of them. (The person sold them because they were bullies, wish I would have known before I drove 2 hours) On 12/24, I got an early Christmas present. A beautiful white egg! I brought it inside cleaned it gently and placed it on a towel on the kitchen counter. One of my 4 kids came by and grabbed the towel and you can imagine what the egg looked like. I literally cried!!! Nothing Christmas day then another egg 12/26, 12/28, and 12/30 [​IMG]. Then, the cold rain started for a few days. Kiss the egg laying goodbye.

In the mean time, since we had not anticipated purchasing an incubator until the spring, we made one from an ice chest. Thanks to everyone who posted pics and directions. Although since we were short on time we used a hot water heater thermo, but I am pretty happy that the swing isn't so bad even though the temp is generally 100.4. It doesn't get higher than that in checking the 2 thermometers which are on different sides of the 3 eggs. 2 fans was a good idea! The low does go down to 97.6 but not for very long, so I am hopeful.

We put them in at about 6 pm Sunday and I candled them tonight and the last 2 laid look spidery (Probably not a real word so we won't tell anyone I am a teacher [​IMG]) The first one is hard to tell because it looks porous. But I am hopeful! This is soo exciting and I can say that I am hooked!

Did I forget to mention that my husband thinks I am CRAZY with these chickens? He tells me I spend more time and energy learning and reading on BYC, than I pay attention to him. [​IMG] Poor soul. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He will be shortly behind you in the addiction. My Ken is worse than I am now.

3. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    He doesn't get it yet. All he keeps talking about is eating eggs and chicken. Maybe once they hatch...

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:It will happen once he sees the myriad of breeds, sizes, personalities, etc. THEN he will get it.

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm worse than my wife.. and she's the crazy chicken lady of West Monroe!

She wants to get our Serama Rooster inked on her leg...

[​IMG]

6. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I'm not to the point of getting a tattoo, lol. But I don't like tattoo's. Now I am crazy enough that I told my husband we need to find a lot of property (maybe north Louisiana or Arkansas) and move so we can have more chickens. I wanted 13, then he went and bought some from the feed store after I ordered 13. We bought the ones off of craigs list (leghorns) We got packing peanuts, and then he bought more from the feed store. Now we are hatching eggs. At last count we had 48 birds, although I think we have 18 packing peanuts which may end up chicken nuggets. Plus I drove to Mississippi and got French Copper Marans from a breeder and 2 purebred Arcunas, nice blue eggs. For a grand total of 58, plus 3 eggs. I think I am going to have to sell some birds or move really soon, lol! What areas are good around west monroe for property? We are looking for 10-20 acres in a good school district.

7. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    My little girl and I are wearing my wife down on super-sizing the hacienda. She wasn't sure about chickens at first, she went along grudgingly though. Last weekend, she didn't even bat an eyelash when she figured out I was building an incubator in the basement. She actually seems excited about going to the state farm show this weekend. I may just surprise her with a couple of goats for Easter.

8. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I told my husband the first thing we are going to buy when we move is a pair of Myotonic goats. Fainting goats! I have 4 kids, 3 with ADHD. I can picture myself sitting on a porch and my kids come running by and my goats hitting the ground! [​IMG]

9. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    Now my husband really thinks I am nuts! He came out to the coop to tell me I had to stop playing with my chickens because it was time to put the kids in bed. I didn't realize I was out there for over an hour playing. I took 2 long pieces of yarn and tied one to each hand and the chickens went nuts playing and fighting over it like it was a worm. More fun than kittens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by