1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Bators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blzzrdqueen, Mar 14, 2013.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I've now started researching making my own incubator. I'm thinking of using a cardboard box, or medium size Rubber Maid container. Most like the Rubbermaid. Would a 75 watt heat lamp be sufficient for heat? I would probably cut a large square out of the lid, and duct tape plexiglass over it for viewing, and I will have to get a couple more bulb thermometers. And of course I would drill several vent holes into it. I want to make it as simple and budget friendly as I can. I would like to use a old computer fan from a tower I have in my spare room to make it forced air. I would also like to use it as a dry hatcher, and would hand turn the eggs. Any advice on doing this DIY project would be appreciated.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    I wouldn't use a cardboard box or a Rubbermaid container. They won't hold heat very well. Get either a wine cooler, mini fridge, or a regular old cooler for the shell of the incubator. I got my mini fridge for $15 on craigslist. I would just post a wanted ad and see if you can get one. Mine only needs a 40 watt bulb to heat it. Good luck[​IMG]

3. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    What about the Styrofoam coolers? The still air I am using is Styrofoam...

4. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    You could just they won't be as sturdy. A lot of people make bators out of those. Go to the coops section and look at the homemade bators on there. That's where I got my ideas from.

5. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I just went through all the bators on that page, and all of them seem so much more complicated then what I want. I don't think I want a computer fan, so maybe a small desk fan from Wal-mart...I don't want to have to deal with electrical wiring..I am in no way close to being able to work with any type of wiring like what is in the coolers in the coops page...Is it really going to be this difficult to build my own bator? [​IMG]

6. SRHartley

SRHartley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Ohio
    It is really simple. My wife;s cousin and I built our own bators from old coolers. Very simple and as we speak his eggs are hatching, mine are in lockdown and should hatch tomorrow. Old computer fans are perfect to use. Just check the voltage. It will say it on the fan somewhere, ie 5v 9v 12v etc. You can then just get an old phone charger for the power supply. Again check the voltage. You will want it as close to the computer fans voltage as possible. My fan was a 12v and my phone charger was a 9v. The lower voltage just makes the fan spin a little slower (which was fine as the fan I used had a high and low speed). The only thing you may need to buy is a thermostat. I got a hot water heater thermostat from Lowes for around $8. The wiring diagrams in the bator section on BYC are simple and easy to follow. I am sure you saw them. Overall it was an afternoon family project which has brought lots of pleasure and learning for both our families.

7. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    It's a ton simpler than you think as long as you have the tools. The computer fan thing was so simple I did it in five minutes. Just make a plan first and then follow that to make it.

8. brahmabreeder

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
  9. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Can you post a link to the wiring diagrams?

10. SRHartley

SRHartley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Ohio
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/home-made-incubator

I take no credit for this. It is very simple and really the only other thing you need is the computer fan and hardware cloth. I would recommend using a plastic cooler as they are more stable and your efforts will be able to be reused over and over again. Be careful though, hatching your own eggs is very addictive! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by