Homemade Brooder out of an old refrigerator? Advice needed...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Melrose Chooks, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Melrose Chooks

Melrose Chooks New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    Barns Green, UK
    Hello,

I'm brand new to this site so apologies if this has already been covered.

I am looking to purchase some day old chicks and therefore will need a brooder. I have an old fridge...can I put it flat on it's back, remove the door and put a mesh lid on it with heat lamp? I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. chillmiller

chillmiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Tonopah/AZ
    sure... well kinda.... id cut a piece of plywood or cardboard to line the (bottom) of the fridge as the slipery surface can cause problems but ya do that add pine shaveings food water and heat and the fuzzy butts will love ya love ya

3. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    if you need a brooder just go to a hardware store buy an 18 gallon storage container a 100 w bulb and a plastic bulb holder and sone 1/2 in wire mesh and an extension cord put the bulb about 6 in from the bottom and put a small towel on the bottom so it kinda looks like this save your fridge for making it into an incubator
    [​IMG]

and the lid something like this (if I would have known I was going to be taking a pix of it to show people I would have made it look better)

[​IMG]

4. Melrose Chooks

Melrose Chooks New Egg

Dec 4, 2010
    Barns Green, UK
    Many thanks for your responses...I'm now looking into the homemade Incubator.....

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    A full size fridge will make a huge bator. If you are not planning on hatching mega amounts of eggs I would go with the brooder idea. Save the door you can always make it into a bator later. And keep in mind how much it is gonna cost to keep a full sizr fridge 100 degrees for a month!! To make it into a brooder I would put ply or something in the bottom as it is slippery and then use shavings over that. Add a light on one end. That way they can go under it to get warm and on the other end to cool off. That is a large enough brooder they should be good in it for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by