Homemade Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gatekeeper, May 10, 2008.

1. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    Ok, I have some questions:

I am making a home made brooder out of 3/8" plywood. Its 24" wide - 48" long and 11.5" high.

QUESTION #1 - How many average size checks can I fit for say 3 weeks comfortably in this 8 sq ft playpen?

QUESTION #2 - I wanted to use 1/4" wire mesh flooring - will that be big enough to let poop through for at least 3 weeks?

QUESTION #3 - I want to use a wafer thermostat with a dimmer switch and a good light for the heater. Does anyone have instructions on how I should wire this?

QUESTION #4 - What is your favorite breed?

Gate

2. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    I can't help with your brooder questions, but I like buff orpingtons and isa browns. Rhode island reds are pretty as well.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Ok, I have some questions:

I am making a home made brooder out of 3/8" plywood. Its 24" wide - 48" long and 11.5" high.

QUESTION #1 - How many average size checks can I fit for say 3 weeks comfortably in this 8 sq ft playpen?
    i have have 15 chicks(between 3-6weeks)and three ducklings in a 5x3 area and they have planty room.
    QUESTION #2 - I wanted to use 1/4" wire mesh flooring - will that be big enough to let poop through for at least 3 weeks?

cant answer that as mine are in a old laundryroom .

QUESTION #3 - I want to use a wafer thermostat with a dimmer switch and a good light for the heater. Does anyone have instructions on how I should wire this?

cant help here either, but if your room temp is halfway stable you might not need a wafer
    QUESTION #4 - What is your favorite breed?

anything weird looking . I love polish, frizzle, silkies all the tophats and long tails for looking at. But if i want great layers one day i will get some buckeyes and maybe EE's(easter eggers) and cuckoo marans.

4. I made mine 21x48. 5 sex links are in there, and they are a month old. I have shavings, no drop outs. Homemade as well, 2x6's, 1/2 plywood etc.

5. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    theres a brooder thread you could go to it has alot of brooders

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by