Homemade Brooders

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Toots Birds, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Toots Birds

Toots Birds In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    Could anyone give me some ideas on homemade brooders? My chicks should be hatching soon and I don't have a brooder. Please help!

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Toots Birds

Aug 16, 2014
    That was very helpful! Thank you. Do you have any favorites out of that list?

4. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I use a room, about 20 sq ft, in my coop with chicken wire walls, but it is a large coop. I've only used it once for chicks because they are generally raised by broodies here. I did brood 25 chicks in a spare bedroom one spring, in a couple of cardboard appliance boxes taped together, with a chair back for the heat lamp. Never again; no more dust, dander and poop dust in my house.

It depends so much on your situation. If you don't already have a flock, I would just brood them right in the coop they will live in. (I definitely favor brooding outdoors.) Keep in mind that by the time they are 4 weeks old, they should have about 3 sq ft per chick.

Once you settle on size and location, and figure out how to manage the heat source safely, it's just a matter of scratcing up whatever materials you can and putting it together.

Here are a couple of setups that might be useful to you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/840130/new-chicks-in-with-the-chickens/0_20#post_12410443

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735392/redneck-fungshui-brooding-17-degree-temperatures/0_20

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. dheltzel

dheltzel Crowing

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I brood in rubbermaid containers, just small numbers of chicks, moving up to water troughs that I got for ponds in my deck. I put wire over the top when the chicks get big enough to jump out.

6. Toots Birds

Aug 16, 2014
    Now I am definitely not as worried about when the chicks hatch![​IMG][​IMG]

P.S. Dear Judy,
    That second link was very useful!

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick and easy setup and tear down. When finished, I pull the trailer out to the field and sweep it out. Done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: