Homemade Cabinet Incubator Thermostat & Humidity Options

barrybsmith

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
I was wondering if anyone else has other solutions. I'm wanting to try and make it more automated to have better control over the Thermostat & Humidity and not have to spend much money.

My Current Setup: Semi Auto $60 (Testing success rate)

Wood & Styrofoam Cabinet
Fan at top pushing the heat through duct to the bottom
Auto egg turners
Light Bulb at bottom for heat source
Water pan at bottom that I pour hot water into through a pvc for humidity

Possible Setup: $250

225 Watt Cabinet IncuKit | Incubator Thermostat Fan Heater

Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller

Zoo Med Reptile Fogger Terrarium Humidifier

Another Possible Setup: $166

Elitech 110V All-Purpose Temperature Controller+ Sensor 2 Relay Output Thermostat Stc-1000

My Heat Personal Ceramic Heater

AC Infinity HS1238A-X Standard Cooling Fan, 115V AC 120mm by 120mm by 38mm High Speed

Zoo Med HygroTherm Humidity and Temperature Controller

Zoo Med Reptile Fogger Terrarium Humidifier

Yes it will i already use it in the fridge incubator i am building
i am using the 220V as i live in Europe but it is still the same

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I am making a test run using the WH8040 to control a humidifier. It appears to have a pretty big flaw when using it to control a cool mist humidifier in an incubator. If the sensor comes in contact with the mist it becomes highly inaccurate in the low direction. It worked great at first, then over a day or so, when I moved the setting up to 65% the indicated humidity started going up, then started dropping down to about 45%. After drying it with a hair dryer and filling the reservoir with water the indication went to 65%. I am introducing the mist via the fan port. If I back the humidifier down to the point that no visible mist comes out, it does not produce enough moisture to make the humidity rise.

Scratching my head.

I am also using a REX-C100FK02-V*AN PID controller for temperature. It comes with a type K thermocouple, which is not suitable for this application. You only get whole degree indication with that sensor. I've ordered a PT100 RTD which should support up to 3 decimal places. It seems to control very well with less than 1 degree C overshoot at startup. Took a while to figure out how to configure it. I gutted a Little Giant force air incubator and connected the controller to the heater.

Now what I really need is an accurate temperature and humidity indicator to calibrate it with. Anyone know where i can find one?

The controllers cost me under $40 combined with free shipping. I paid another $9 for the RTD.

I solved the problem with the WH8040. I backed down on the output controls on the humidifier until I could no longer see steam. Now it cycles just fine. I bought an Avianweb Digital Mini Instant-Read Temperature & Humidity Gauge Thermometer (Hygrometer). This is pretty cheap and acurate and allowed me to calibrate both the humidity controller and the temperature controller. Still waiting for my RTD, but I have the temp set at 100.4, which is as close as I can get without the RTD. Once I have the RTD I can tweek it in to the nearest decimal place. The raw thermocouple reading was 6 degrees low. The Humidity sensor was 5% off.

I finally got my PT100 RTD today, hooked it up and found a new problem. When I set the number of decimal places to 1, I was limited to +/- 10 degrees C for the setpoint. I worked around this by setting the SC setting (calibration offset) to -37.5 (-99.5 degrees C) and put the setpoint to 0. I then used the setpoint to adjust the temperature to control at 99.5F on the Little Giant thermometer. The Avianweb temp/humidity reading was 100.8F.

Man with 1 thermometer knows how hot it is. Man with 2, never sure. The humidity reading is within a percent between the humidity controller and the Avianweb readout. Temperature control is rock steady, Humidity controller cycles between 52% and 48%. I'm satisfied with it.

I know this is an old thread, but I am making a test run using the WH8040 to control a humidifier. It appears to have a pretty big flaw when using it to control a cool mist humidifier in an incubator. If the sensor comes in contact with the mist it becomes highly inaccurate in the low direction. It worked great at first, then over a day or so, when I moved the setting up to 65% the indicated humidity started going up, then started dropping down to about 45%. After drying it with a hair dryer and filling the reservoir with water the indication went to 65%. I am introducing the mist via the fan port. If I back the humidifier down to the point that no visible mist comes out, it does not produce enough moisture to make the humidity rise.

Scratching my head.

I am also using a REX-C100FK02-V*AN PID controller for temperature. It comes with a type K thermocouple, which is not suitable for this application. You only get whole degree indication with that sensor. I've ordered a PT100 RTD which should support up to 3 decimal places. It seems to control very well with less than 1 degree C overshoot at startup. Took a while to figure out how to configure it. I gutted a Little Giant force air incubator and connected the controller to the heater.

Now what I really need is an accurate temperature and humidity indicator to calibrate it with. Anyone know where i can find one?

The controllers cost me under $40 combined with free shipping. I paid another $9 for the RTD.

Thanks for this
goodpost.gif

I was just about to order an ultrasonic mister for my incubator to raise hatching humidity. I have the WH8040 and have run it up to 64 percent but haven't crossed that threshold yet.

I have my incubator set up in a tropical fish room. The room humidity is 70%. With no added humidity the relative humidity drops to around 35%. That being said I can go to 65% using the ultrasonic humidifier. Just back down the setting so that the mist is not visible. My hose runs up hill before going down to the incubator. Maybe a drop out tank would work in the humidity path, but for me it is working.

I raised my humidity last night for hatching, I normally maintain about 38% average. WH8040 LS is 1, HS is 95 (as high as it goes). Humidity setting is 68%, relative room humidity is 25%, and with my air stone in a pan of water I am currently bouncing between 64.9 and 65.1. Two other hygrometers are in close agreement. The air stone is currently running all the time to reach this humidity.

I have the sensor in the column of warm air halfway up the cabinet, rather than directly near the moisture source. I haven't experienced the sensor swing that you describe with this setup, but I also haven't achieved anything over 65.2%.

Back
Top Bottom