Homemade candeler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantyHugger, Jun 23, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I was looking at candelers the other day and their pretty expensive. We're trying homesteading, so money is watched. I would like to make it instead of paying $50 for a flashlight with a rubber attachment.
    Has anyone ever made one? If so, how? Pics welcome. thanks

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have chickens who lay brown eggs and I just use a mag flashlite in a dark room.

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Exactly what am i looking for? I'll experment with the chicken eggs, but duck eggs have thicker shells. A flashlight doesn't seem able to pierce them. [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I taped black duct tape to my mag lite to make a funnel...works much better then the flashlight itself. maybe get a stronger light and tape some black duct tape to it in the shape of a funnel.

6. brahma-momma

brahma-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    i made a cheap candler out of the base of a small fiber optic christmas tree base. i got the tree at ajunk store for a couple dollars took the tree base apart and took out the little color wheel and i got a new dish sponge and cut an oval hole in it then glued it around the little hole in the base. my eggs are brown eggs but with my little candler i can see in the eggs pretty good. Jan

7. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I bought a package of two flashlights at Sam's Club for 28.95. I only needed one, but all they had was a two-pack. The brand name is Element. It's a 3-watt LED flashlight, and it is really really bright. We bought a thin piece of foam in the craft department at Wal-Mart and cut it out to fit on the end of the flashlight. Then we punched a hole with a hole punch in the foam, and taped it to the end of the flashlight with electrical tape. It directs a really strong stream of light that is very bright. It works very well. I candle the eggs right in the turner just like Miss Prissy says to do in one of her posts. I actually got the idea from reading her post, but the flashlight she uses costs like $80, so when I saw these at Sam's , I thought I'd give it a try. Works like a charm.[​IMG]

Paula

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Many folks or their relatives have old slide projectors in the attic that still work. Here was my first candler, then the one I currently use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    now those are awesome!
    I have used both a small LED flashlight (way better than a regular one) and then I made a candler the other day with a ceramic light bulb base and a flourescent flood light (more lumens). Then I poked a hole in a box that I set over the light (make sure the bulb has enough room so the box doesn't catch fire) This one works even better for my super dark brown eggs.

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I also use an old slide projector that I got off of ebay for 10.00. It works great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by