Homemade candler, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Jul 29, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Can't find a stong enough flashlight, is there anything I can construct?
    Please if you can, post pictures aswell! [​IMG]

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Can't find a strong enough flashlight? Then you haven't tried a Maglite with the LED bulb. (get a four D cell or larger)

3. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:Can't find a strong enough flashlight? Then you haven't tried a Maglite with the LED bulb. (get a four D cell or larger)

Well, I'm not going to go out buying every flashlight and testing it.

4. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011

I guess I'll try that, thanks.

5. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Hi! I just bought a new flashlight from Lowes. It is an LED with 90 or 100 lumens which is real bright. I then put some self stick felt with a hole cut out in the center covering the lens part. It works awesome! I paid $25. But it is the "lumens" number is what is important.

HTH:)

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I have one of these, and it works great for everything except eggs with REALLY dark, brown shells (button quail).

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ei=rsEyTo6hGoO1sQKr97ydCw&ved=0CJoBEPMCMAc4Cg

I don't think it cost this much, though. It was given to me, but I'm sure my sister. She got it probably at Target, and I doubt she would have paid that much for it. Probably more like $25 tops. So, I'd shop around.

That thing is BRIGHT. Hurts your eyes to look directly into the beams.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I saw someones design yesterday--100 watt bulb with metal shade and then added foil lined cardboard with a hole for candling to enclose the bulb. Seems the card board was taped on the shade, foil side in to increase the bouncing of light beams.

8. chickens friend

chickens friend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Southwest virginia
    If you have a lava lamp then take the base and get a plastic cup and put duck tape around the cup, and fasten the cup upside down on top of the lava lamp base, then take a knife and cut a small hole in the bottom of the cup for the light to shine through. This is how I candle my eggs and the light is super bright and works great.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:Thanks a lot, I'll go check it out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by