homemade candling box?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dadsgirl, Feb 21, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    does any one know a simple pattern for making a homemade candling box??

thanks, angie

2. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Angie..........

I made mine out of some scrap 3/4" plywood. I bought a light bulb base at the hardware store and wired it. Then I cut a square of wood a little bit larger than the diameter of the bulb base and screwed the base to it. I then cut four pieces, to form the sides, wide enough to go around the base. A piece was cut to cover the entire top. Then nailed the sides and top together (it will sit over the base) I drilled a small hole, about 1" in the center of the top.
    Some folks have used metal cans, etc. I guess that really any container would work. I just had the plywood available.
    Dick

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I`m the metal can kinda guy. Someone here said they use a clay pot with a light under it. Doesn`t get much simpler than that.

4. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    I just use a maglite flashlight. No muss, no fuss and it has served me quite well.

UC

5. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a bedside lamp... I cut a piece of cardboard larger than the top of the lampshade and cut a quarter sized hole in that. I use a towel or something to wrap around the lamp so light only escapes through the little hole in the cardboard. And I use one of those energy efficient cool bulbs in the lamp. Finally someplace to use those annoying little corkscrew lightbulbs!

super easy for us

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you are any friends or family members have an old slide projector with a working bulb, that is wonderful. It's what I use. Here are mine, one old and one ancient, LOL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

8. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

i used an oatmeal box placed over the base to a lava lamp for years! now i have a mini mag led flashlight that works well. lol

9. chickensandmore

chickensandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Spiro Ok
    I made mine from PVC pipe fittings so many styles to choose from [​IMG]

Don [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by