Homemade Chick Feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cre8fstmpr, Sep 7, 2008.

1. cre8fstmpr

cre8fstmpr New Egg

Jul 17, 2008
    We're getting brand new chicks early this week. We have some chicken scratch. What do we need to add to this for their first few days till I can get to the big city and buy them real food from the store?

2. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Go buy real chick starter. You will not be sorry. Baby chicks can't handle scratch yet. They cna survive a few days on instant oatmeal but even that does not have the protein and other amino acids that they need to grow well.... Unless you ahve access to unlinited dead flies and other bugs !!![​IMG]

3. MilkMaid

MilkMaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    You need to add something like fishmeal and maybe some flax seeds for protein and amino acids. You can add some kelp meal and yeast (not baking yeast) for b vits and minerals. You can soak the grains over night and try to grind them then, as they will be softer, in a food processor or blender. Or you can sprout them, if they are whole grains and that will also make them easier to grind smaller. Do you know how to calculate the percent protein of the mixture of feed ingredients? You need to learn to do that if you are wanting to get a certain percent protein from home mixed feed.

4. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    I agree you need to start them off right with the correct food for them.

Purchasing chicks is an investment. If you don't feed them right then you are flushing your money down the toliet. Especially when they start dieing because they aren't getting the nutrients they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by