1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade Chicken Feed Ratios

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SpringShowers, Nov 5, 2015.

1. SpringShowers

SpringShowers New Egg

Oct 11, 2015
    So I have done much research lately on this. I think I know what and what not to feed my soon-to-be-laying chickens. At least I hope I do.....
    My question is how much of everything do I feed them.
    I'm kinda focusing on 3 main components for their feed.

1. Carbs/fats (wheat,oats)
    2. Protein (peas, and some from oats)
    3.Supplements (kelp meal, sunflower seeds, scratch, oyster shell)

I know protein should be at about 16-18%, but i'm not sure about the other 2.

What percentage should carb/fats and supplements be at?
    Should I be adding anything else to the feed?

I'm also open to any new ideas on homemade chicken feed:)

Thanks!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Hi, and [​IMG]

Here is my suggestion or advice, ( interpret it ether way.) Get bag of Alflock feed and have it available for your hens. Then give them all your other home made feed at about 25% of total. Calcium supplement Oyster shells would be best to offer free choice unrestricted. You do not say how large your flock is. Reason for knowing is this;;; Making your own feed can be more costly than purchased feed from store. If you do have a very large flock and need very much feed, then you may be able to save $$$ if you buy your grains in large bulk quantities. You will additionally need to add vitamin and mineral supplements to chickens diet. Also, will possibly need machinery like a grinder. ( does not have to be big) Some of the grains are better if in smaller than whole particles. ( especially if you get whole corn ).
    Making your own Ideal science feed can get complex. Peeps that do it are experienced at it from years of doing it. Since you are at the beginning stage , you would benefit from using the ready made stuff , and learning as you go thru adding your own ingredients to your chickens' diet. As I mentioned Alflock. above... It is formulated to give chickens all the nutrition they need. Adding oyster shell is needed to make up for the needed calcium.. If all your chickens are laying, then you have the option to switch to layer formula. If you have non layers in your group, ( like young,, old, or roosters,) Then it is better not to use layer feed, but Allflock or grower, or starter.
    I do not want to discourage you from making your own feed.. I am offering common sense approach to feeding your flock practically and healthy..
    WISHING YOU BEST.. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

4. SpringShowers

SpringShowers New Egg

Oct 11, 2015

5. SpringShowers

SpringShowers New Egg

Oct 11, 2015

Thank you!
    Very insightful.
    I will definitely be looking into the allflock and grinder.
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by