Homemade chicken plucker for less than 30 bucks

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by TheGonzo, Apr 10, 2016.

1. TheGonzo

TheGonzo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2015
    Denmark
    Hey everyone!

I love chickens. Having them, feeding them, collecting eggs and eating them. But I HATE plucking them, so I got my tools out and got creative.

I just finished building my chicken plucker and took it for a test spin with 20 chickens today.
    I spend about 40-45 minutes cleaning every single feather of all the birds including two pit stops (battery change). So that is 2-3 min./bird

Of course would be faster using a drum plucker, but considering this plucker was build for less than $30 of material, I am counting it as a succes :)

If anyone is interested in a building guide, I will create one

Happy plucking :)

[​IMG]

2. LeroySouthpaw

LeroySouthpaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    West Virginia
    Could you post a list of supplies??? After helping a friend butcher his meat birds, I decided I would skin mine. It works but not for a pretty roasted bird. I would love to see pictures of your plucker.

3. LeroySouthpaw

LeroySouthpaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    West Virginia
    Also, I would love to read the building guide. Thank you!!!

4. Loc20chick

Loc20chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    Eastern Shore MD
    X2

5. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Following for more info. We might get some meat birds this summer and the most intimidating aspect is the expense of the equipment involved with processing.

6. DaveMorehouse

DaveMorehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in for a materials list if you have one. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

7. lcertuche

lcertuche Chillin' With My Peeps

DH always throws a fit when I skin my birds but it's so much quicker. I actually bought the supplies to make a drill plucker but for some reason I can't loosen the drill bit on the drill. Not really effective without the drill, lol.

8. Jingles1234

Jingles1234 Just Hatched

Aug 11, 2016
    Following

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by