Homemade Chicken Suet...My attempt

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dixie&trixie, Jul 9, 2010.

1. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    I have decided to make my own chicken suet. I’ve looked at several recipes from other BYC members and took a lil from each one to create my own. Made a trip to target and found everything for under $15.00. I even found the suet cage on clearance for $.87!! Ive spoiled my chicks to the point that when I get home from work and go outside to check on them they all (‘’all” being 3 nine week old chicks) come running towards me as if to say, “We know you got something! Where is it lady?” Usually its mealworms or some cheese. Wont they be in for a treat when I bring them a block of my homemade suet! [​IMG] Cant wait, hope it turns out well and Ill let you know how it fares with the girls!! Wish me luck! [​IMG]

2. dchickenman

dchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Good luck, keep us posted...[​IMG]

3. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Oh I want to see them when you are done!! I want to do the same.

4. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    Please post your recipe. I already make homemade suet for
    the song birds and woodpeckers. This is something I am very
    interested in.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Once you make it, they'll love it! Mine mob me and almost attack when they see me coming with it!

6. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    DW made some for the song birds here they didnt like it. but the chickens loved it! She is going to have to find the recipe for the chicken suet for them.

7. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Ok, I can't wait any longer - how did your suet cakes come out? Would love to have the recipe. I bought a flock block at TSC the other day as a treat but they are pretty expensive so I would like a lower priced homemade option. A healthy diversion for those little beaks.

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Usually all I do is save the bacon drippings, pour into a shallow plastic container (one of those plastic tupperware sandwich things) pour in some birdseed or scratch, stir and serve.

SOmetimes I do use fat trimmed from a steak or roast, rendered in simmering water. Skim, put in above container and mix with scratch or seed, stir and serve. It's usually not in a neat "cake" but all the chickens usually get some. My version isn't quite as neat as store-bought ones, usually kind of soft and greasy, but it gets rid of fat that would normally get thrown out.

9. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Well unfortunately my girls hated it. [​IMG] They snubbed their beaks at it. [​IMG] I will not give up hope tho. I am going to tweak the recipe until I get it right. Heres what I used: suggestions welcome

Songbird seed
    Lard
    Peanut Butter
    Wheat Germ
    Eggs
    Dried Fruit

They like the wheat germ plain. Imagine that....[​IMG]

10. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Can I give wild bird feed as a treat?