"homemade" cornish cross eating 15 or 16% protein feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MrChicken207, Jul 21, 2010.

1. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I'm just wondering if I were to cross my own cornish rocks, or cornish delawares, and feed the resulting birds a feed with a lower protein percentage, would they grow with less health problems?

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Mine haven't had any issues on the inexpensive 17% I get at Del's. They grew out to an average of 5.5 lbs for roos and 4.5-5lbs for hens at 8 weeks. $9.99 a bag, compared to other brands at $13.95+ I used that got me 6.5 lb finished roos.

3. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:Those probably wouldn't have any health problems, anyway. They should be healthy, vigorous, birds. But a higher protein food might help them produce more meat. I feed my DP crosses 22%.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:This is Off topic so appologies to MrChicken--Dogfish, you should check out Gore's feed in W. Oly. on Blacklake It used to be Gores nursery but now they're a feed store. I can get chick start either med or not for $13 and 27% gamebird feed for $13. Their layer is $9.99 and if there is something you want that they don't have they're willing to stock it for you.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm with you on this, I fed my hatchery CX Purina flock raiser. Had no heart attacks and 5-6 lb birds in the right time frame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by