Homemade CX ?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chickened, Feb 26, 2012.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Could be I guess. Don't see how it's a deal. $21 for a dozen and if only 6 or 7 hatch, no deal at all. If they're getting an 85% hatch rate, I wouldn't expect to get any higher than a 50% hatch rate after the USPS punts them across the country.

3. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I was thinking the reproduction value if they will breed true. They claim they will tell you how they do it but I am a little skeptical. Been burnt on ebay before.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    They may tell you how to did it, but if it were that easy, everyone would have them. I'd guess if those truly are birds they've produced, it's taken them years to get to the point they're at. I'd guess if you kept them for parent stock, they wouldn't breed true. Especially when they mention "there might be a Freedom Ranger included>" I could be wrong, but like you, I'm easily skeptical about things on Ebay.

5. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I may try them out of curiosity, the growth rate would be the big disappointment. I can get CX for 1.00 a chick locally so the money would never pan out but I was thinking a free range bird that I can hatch, grow in say 10 weeks to 4 to 5 lbs. would be lucrative here in Oregon. Free range fryers bring 3.00 to 4.00 a lb. here. My contacts will not buy the traditional CX they say" no flavor".

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There not the Double Breasted Cornish Cross as in the type that you get from most hatcheries.
    To me they look like they have a lot of Jersey Giant in them and.I would highly doubt that the rooster in the picture weighs 15 lbs.

In fact they look very similar to one of Meyers alternative broilers called a White Cornish (Rock) Giant which are a non-hybrid.
    http://www.myerspoultry.com/2011 MPF Catalog.pdf

Chris

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    All they did was let Cornish cross grow up and mate. The result would not be uniform growth rate offspring. If they took the larger birds of second flock and allowed to grow up and mate they'd be more uniform. To do this you'd most likely have to limit feed. I suppose those eggs would indicate better vitality as the parents survived to adulthood. but really it's something you could do yourself. I think your better off getting one of the Freedom Ranger type meat birds which would satisfy your clients.

8. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have tried the FR and they take about 14 weeks to get to 5lbs butcher weight when freeranged with feed available. I have freeranged the CX and in the heat they are too stupid to get out of the sun and some always die. Has anyone done Meyer's white rock giants and if so how did it pan out? was it like they say it is?

9. Blaineiac

Blaineiac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm pretty sure they are selling eggs here in the for sale section.

10. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011

read my byc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by