1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homemade duck brooder ideas?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birdcrazy, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I have a scovie pair that breed and I want to get a brooder for the babies and hand raise them [​IMG]
    Anyone have any ideas for nice sized, easy to make duckie brooder? Materials and bedding ect. would be great [​IMG]

2. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    How many ducklings are you planning on keeping in the brooder? Also how long will they live in it before they move to a bigger enclosure? That'll dictate the necessary amount of space and what ideas will work.

3. Birdcrazy

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    About how many my muscovy girl lays.... between 10-20 really. I'd like something big enough to keep a few older ducklings over 5 weeks. A nice big size would be good I reckon so when the ducklings are older they arent always around the house. Something not too expensive like the ones they sell from a company [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It would be nice to know how many ducklings you would have to house beforehand- but a little hard if you are letting mum sit. I have a few different brooders that I can use in different weather conditions and number of ducklings.

At the moment my youngest - from two weeks old down to one day olds - are in my lounge room. The older are in a very large cardboard box with newspaper and pine shavings on the bottom. The 3 that have just hatched are in a plaastic recycling tub bought from Bunnings. The light I use is just a small clip on lamp bought at the same place.
    Outside I have a wire rabbit cage that will house about 5 ducklings up to 3 weeks old. I have a pen in the back shed made with colour bond fencing pannels on a wood frame for bad weather or cold nights.
    I also made a brooder pen... but I will have to go search for the photos- It was fairly easy to make, and finished in a day.
    And last- A huge wooden crate I brought home from work. Very solid- I have just made a mesh lid for it.

I will go have a look for some pics for you........

5. Birdcrazy

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Wow I'd love to see some photos, thanks!
    Yeah letting the mother sit again. Dont want to start having to seperate the drake and working out little bits and tips around the pen [​IMG] so im going to get properly set up at home. Also the heat is driving the hawks, eagles, crows to the coast (where our block is) so argh for having to try finding a mesh roof on the pen. Other wise just heaps easier taking them all home.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    And much more fun for you too. They really are just the cutest things.
    I have emailed you some pics. Let me know if you want to know any construction details.

7. Birdcrazy

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Awesome thanks heaps [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by