homemade duck food?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck mommy 2019, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Duck mommy 2019

Duck mommy 2019 Songster

Apr 1, 2019
    specifically for ducklings just hatched to about 12 weeks old (could be multiple recipes) with normal kitchen food please! my parents said if i wanted to foster ducklings this year i have to pay for it (since they already help with the kittens) so anything i can make and also homemade duckling setups, helping to tame them, ect. thanks! they aren’t our ducks and will get new homes after they are old enough. also the ducklings will need names, so suggestions are welcome!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It may not be possible from a kitchen. After all, we don't know what you have in your kitchen. What you steal from the pantry is likely to be more expensive than a complete poultry feed appropriate for ducklings. Perhaps even a great deal more expensive and still not be the right blend of nutrients for the age and species.
    How many ducks are you talking about?
    If you can put things together to achieve the following nutrients, perhaps.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm

https://www.metzerfarms.com/RearingInstructions.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=24646813

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    KaleIAm, Jpat and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. Duck mommy 2019

Duck mommy 2019 Songster

Apr 1, 2019
    we don’t know yet. probably just 1-3 ducklings

Kiwibird likes this.
  4. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Honestly, that few ducklings, one bag of feed for about $13-16 depends on where you buy it...will last the whole time...and making your own will be more costly as they said and a huge chunk of time...Huey, duey, louey? Larry, curly, moe? What are the three chipmunks? Honestly..I name mine based on personality....once you see their goofiest smile or laidback nature..you might choose names then..good luck kiddo, and enjoy..take lots of pictures

KaleIAm, ChickenCanoe and Jpat like this.
  5. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Exactly

it would be hard to make a duckling food with enough protein in it

Here is purina duck starter Screenshot_20191114-210216_Samsung Internet.jpg

like @Duckfarmer1 a 25kg bag of feed is 15ish dollars and would last 2 ducklings about 10 weeks

Goodluck with your ducklings! Post lots of pictures

Miss Lydia and ChickenCanoe like this.
  6. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    :goodpost:

7. KaleIAm

KaleIAm Songster

Jul 13, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I agree you should get duck starter feed. It will have all the right nutrition for your ducklings. You won't be able to achieve that with an untested recipe and you could hurt your ducklings. You probably won't save money anyway.

Also, please get more than one duckling so it won't be lonely.

8. mosseater

mosseater In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2019
    Carol Deppe has some good info about feeding ducks household foods. She feeds ducklings hard boiled eggs, and she feeds all ducks cooked squash and cooked potatoes. She says potatoes are the better of the two because they have more protein. In The Resilient Gardener she writes, "Given good forage, I suspect I could raise ducklings completely on forage, duck eggs, squash, and potatoes." I really think you need to consider how well you can supply all of the lesser nutrients ducklings need. Carol Deppe is relying on forage, but she creates "duckling yards" that she sows and stocks. Maintaining a duckling forage area with plenty of tender greens and bugs and worms is certainly more work than buying a commercial feed, and probably not worth the effort for a few ducklings. Especially not in the winter.

Miss Lydia and ChickenCanoe like this.
  9. Duck mommy 2019

Duck mommy 2019 Songster

Apr 1, 2019
    they are rescue ducklings so we don’t get to pick how many we get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: