Homemade "easy door" for coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mochicken, Oct 27, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I am looking for door designs, it doesnt "need" to be an auto door, although I would LOVE to have an auto door but I actually have one one adult coop, 2 bantam coops, one pigeon loft, and a pheasant coop lol it would be hard to pay for all those $180 doors per coop lol.

I am really looking for something that is easy to do from outside the coop, maybe a pendulum lock or something that all I have to do is pull a string in the morning to open it then just wrap that around a nail or something, then in the evening I could shut it with said string and it would lock somehow without ever going into the run, any ideas?

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, You can do a vertical lift door with a motor that is less than $100.00 bucks. simple to build...just a suggestion. here is my latest one.
    Will be using an Add-A-Motor D20 on this one like I used on my big coop. Love it.

erik

[​IMG] Outside view

[​IMG] Inside view....simple track from aluminum angle with 1/8" aluminun for door.

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    That looks really nice,

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have a variation of the vertically sliding door shown, but made from wood. It has a string at the top, run through a pulley, to the outside. I pull the string to open the door, and tie it to a cleat on the outside of the coop.

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Sounds like your real issue is wanting to have a lock on the door, right?

One way to lock the door is to use some sort of board or bar.

Let's say the door slides up and down like a guillotine. You could lock it by placing a bar or board above the door. If you make the bar or board long enough and place the door in the right place, you could reach the board from outside the run.

[​IMG]

6. pdcttc

pdcttc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    I made my door so it slides to the side. the bottom track has holes in it to let any shavings or water out.
    I have a 1x2 screwed to the door that leads to the outside of the run. From there you can use several different ways to lock it. I use a simple gate lacth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by