Homemade egg candler?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Could you leave some pictures aswell if possible? Thanks![​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Here ya go:

[​IMG]

$4 at Home Depot---but I steal my husband's fancy ones.

3. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    I made one last night with a brooder lamp with an incadescent bulb and cardboard box.

make sure the box can be closed tight without too much light escaping, and still sealed on the bottom.

I cut a hole in the bottom just big enough to candle the egg. Stuck the brooder lamp in the box where the lamp was aimed at the hole I made.

then I closed the box top to hold in the lamp. Once I plugged it in I turned off the lights in the room, and candled eggs.. it was super bright.. I was even able to see into my BO eggs. I just set the candler box in my lap and went through one by one.

So if youre looking to make one at home, and have a brooder lamp and box.. there ya go.. Free candler

4. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    If you have a smartphone of any type, you can download a free LED flashlight. It really works well I can candle my Coturnix Quail eggs with it!!!

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:+1

I tried to do a fancy one involving that foil tape, a brooder light, cardboard and foil. Had a very difficult time.

Then, I used Laree's instructions (well, tried that flashlight about a week ago). The flashlight is much, much easier to use and see with. As an extra bonus, I can just take it out to the coop at night and candle them right there instead of hauling the eggs back to the house and struggling with my homemade one.

6. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

C&Rman :

If you have a smartphone of any type, you can download a free LED flashlight. It really works well I can candle my Coturnix Quail eggs with it!!!

I've done this and it is very bright, works very well.​

7. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN

I tried to do a fancy one involving that foil tape, a brooder light, cardboard and foil. Had a very difficult time.

Then, I used Laree's instructions (well, tried that flashlight about a week ago). The flashlight is much, much easier to use and see with. As an extra bonus, I can just take it out to the coop at night and candle them right there instead of hauling the eggs back to the house and struggling with my homemade one.

Flashlights are much more convenient, yes.. but they were looking for a homemade one, the foil and foil tape is not needed. Sometimes people dont have the cash (even 4 dollars) or time or money for gas, to go buy things. There are people like me who live on a fixed income, and live 40+ miles from town, and cannot just get to Home Depot whenever theyd like.. or some fancy cell phone, or even afford or get service in the small areas in which we live and farm [​IMG]

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio

Flashlights are much more convenient, yes.. but they were looking for a homemade one, the foil and foil tape is not needed. Sometimes people dont have the cash (even 4 dollars) or time or money for gas, to go buy things. There are people like me who live on a fixed income, and live 40+ miles from town, and cannot just get to Home Depot whenever theyd like.. or some fancy cell phone, or even afford or get service in the small areas in which we live and farm [​IMG]

Sorry not trying to be mean, but u sound like you are not being very nice to the others that have posted on this thread kind of like u are angry for their suggestions. Homemade can mean many different things. I think everyones suggestions sounded like they were homemade, with the exception of the smart phone thing. ( which by the way I will be trying). Either way you need a source of light which does cost money. The only thing that doesn't is not to candle. I will post my pics for u when I get home, I made a homemade candler out of a spotlight and a cone thingy I got work. It will even candle marans eggs.
    Michele

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I've successfully used an oatmeal container with a flashlight. Sorry, no pictures......

10. MommaBugg

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:Flashlights are much more convenient, yes.. but they were looking for a homemade one, the foil and foil tape is not needed. Sometimes people dont have the cash (even 4 dollars) or time or money for gas, to go buy things. There are people like me who live on a fixed income, and live 40+ miles from town, and cannot just get to Home Depot whenever theyd like.. or some fancy cell phone, or even afford or get service in the small areas in which we live and farm [​IMG]

Sorry not trying to be mean, but u sound like you are not being very nice to the others that have posted on this thread kind of like u are angry for their suggestions. Homemade can mean many different things. I think everyones suggestions sounded like they were homemade, with the exception of the smart phone thing. ( which by the way I will be trying). Either way you need a source of light which does cost money. The only thing that doesn't is not to candle. I will post my pics for u when I get home, I made a homemade candler out of a spotlight and a cone thingy I got work. It will even candle marans eggs.
    Michele

I wasnt being mean at all, merely pointing out that its easier sometimes to try and use things already around your house [​IMG] I was not down playing anyones suggestions, rather that the cardboard box and light source does not have to be complicated to construct or use.

Also, in regards to all light sources costing money, you are correct. But some sources are already sitting around the house. My suggestion was for those who need a quick source and may not have time or resources to acquire some items. Sorry if you were offended.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by