1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

homemade egg nogg?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bryan8, Nov 18, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Anyone got a recipe? And is it safe to use like fresh raw eggs?

2. tinychicken

tinychicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2007
    Tiny's Nog

4 eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 quart half and half
    2 T. rum extract (optional)
    freshly grated nutmeg

Beat eggs. Cook eggs, sugar, and half and half over medium/low heat until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Stir in extract. Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving.

I usually serve it as is for the kids and let the adults add their antifreeze of choice to their own glasses.

3. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Cool thanks I'll give it a try.

What's the best antifreeze to put in it? Rum?

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
  5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I'm going with that too. I worried about store bought eggs and home made eggnog, because I figured that the egg could have been hanging around breding bacteria for who knows how long... and I KNOW that MY girls' eggs haven't had a chance to make a raw egg death bomb yet. ohh, still warm...
    and this is cooked as well !
    My loves eggnog. And I can't stand the store bought gelatinous stuff. Thanks for this! I am making some Saturday! Just because I can. writing out the recipe now.

6. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I've been toying with the idea of making my own 'nog this year as well. Never done it before.. it doesn't look *too*hard.

How do you think it would taste with duck eggs? I've heard they're richer, and I used them for some cookies last weekend. Then my daughter smashed the 3 I had in the fridge, so I haven't had a chance to make anything else [​IMG]

opinions?

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Nog!!!!

8. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    First time I had eggnog was homemade but with store bought eggs. This year I am making it with home eggs. I always thought egg nog in store was yucky too that is why I never drank it.

9. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I absolutely adore egg nog. We just had some last week that was pumpkin egg nog..yum.......

10. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    HOMEMADE EGGNOG!!!!! [​IMG] Why didn't I think of that? I have all these eggs and need other things to do with them besides scrambled, hardboiled, or over-easy.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by