Homemade Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Maria143, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Maria143

Maria143 New Egg

Aug 6, 2016
    I am new to chickens and am hoping someone can help me figure out my food situation. I currently have 3 bar rock/orphington mixes and 4 rescue boilers. I have been going out twice a day and scattering their food because I'm worried if I free feed them the broilers will just sit and eat, and eat, and eat . I just started them on a diet of:

7 cups wheat (I just started my first batch of fodder so we'll see how that turns out)
    3.5 oats
    3.5 split peas
    2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
    3/4 dried meal worms

They've been on this new feed for almost a week now and I'm noticing feed building up on the ground. I'm confused because I see them going crazy pecking at the ground when I scatter it and so I don't know why there's so much left behind. Do they not like it, or am I over feeding? They also have a large grassy area they hang around in that's roughly 15 x 20 and I have compost in the corner of their covered run. Any help would be appreciated!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    They may be going crazy for the meal worms. Like candy for a chicken. With a lot of folks they go with a 12 hours on/12 hours off feeding rotation for their broilers. Feed them in a feeder so they don't waste as much. Plus feed on the ground invites vermin. The layer breeds don't generally overeat with free choice feed.
    In terms of your feed recipe, here's a link where homemade feed is the topic. Might be worth a little research for you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Homemade+feed
    Good luck and best wishes!

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Unless you really know Chicken nutrition? Which I believe you do not.....The diet your feeding is not right.....
    You can mix an all flock raiser with layer pellets at 25% layer and 75% all flock raiser..Or just feed the All flock raiser..Oyster shell and Grit at all times....Treats at 5% of daily ration....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by